Check out the comments

Story: Microsoft debunks Linux mythsTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
schestowitz

Jan 27, 2009
7:38 AM EDT
Classic Munchkin line: "Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely Pro Linux and its all I run at home, and at work. I try my best to use it where possible."

Anonymous spinner says: "Microsoft will never lose the desktop, I don't understand why they worry."
theboomboomcars

Jan 27, 2009
10:50 AM EDT
Quoting:"Microsoft will never lose the desktop, I don't understand why they worry."

I think this is a good attitude for MS to have, unless they want to stay in business.
schestowitz

Jan 27, 2009
12:14 PM EDT
They have already dropped margins nearly to $0 (in sub-notebooks). Mark Shuttleworth heard from a credible source that it's the same in desk/laptops.

With an 11% decline, let the denial carry on. Beyond dumping there is not much more that even a monopolist can do (bar bribery).
DrDubious

Jan 27, 2009
5:20 PM EDT
Re: Classic Munchkin line: "Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely Pro Linux and its all I run at home, and at work. I try my best to use it where possible."

Isn't this more or less equivalent to "Some of my best friends are [black|gay|Jewish|Linux users]..."
tuxchick

Jan 27, 2009
5:43 PM EDT
LOL DrDubious and Roy. "Don't get me wrong" is always a big red FUD flag.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 27, 2009
8:43 PM EDT
You don't think MS would rather give away Windows than lose the netbook market?
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 27, 2009
8:46 PM EDT
If they start giving it away, I want a refund on every copy I have had to pay for with every machine I have bought with it on it because you and I both know that the cost it was included in the price of the computer.

They give it away, then I want my money back.
flufferbeer

Jan 27, 2009
9:49 PM EDT
@Scott_Ruecker, I strongly doubt you'd get ANYTHING back from M$. Like so many others of you, I'd be in a similar boat. IIRC, various refund-avoidance measures M$ could use were discussed on some other threads concerning the financial ability of retailers to return past purchased licenses of Winho$. Especially true from pre-installed OEM versions. OTOH, maybe there could be some hope of a class-action suit against Micro$hill's EULA practices. I'm afraid there is not too much real hope of this though :(

And speaking about shills, it's obvious to me that the "Don't get me wrong" comment is not exactly from someone who wants to encourage more Windows interoperability with Linux. I'd agree with tuxchick and Steven_Rosenber here. Similar to my 2c sentiments on Micro$hill's downward$edimenting motions in the netbook market!
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 27, 2009
10:35 PM EDT
flufferbeer, Your right and I know I would never see a dime, not that I would really spend time trying, but I know millions of others who just might.

If you had payed for it over and over again through the years (XP) and now are told that you cannot not buy it anymore (because of Vista) only to find out that they were giving it away for free just to keep a competing OS from being installed on some little laptops? I think the average consumer, and maybe some consumer rights groups might be interested in that little piece of information...

"So we're forced to buy Vista while they get to give XP away in order to keep some OS competition at bay?"

Oh, I hope they do it, I really do..
phsolide

Jan 28, 2009
3:36 PM EDT
The bulk of the comments on this article seem like very stock MSFT shill comments:

"I use linux at home, but..." "I love open source, but..."

Has anybody ever made an effort to coordinate comments and IP addresses of commenters over several linux blogs/sites that they suspect get a lot of shilling? You'd also want to log referers and user agent strings, just for giggles.

Maybe WordPress could do this as a plug in. Some human would have to go in and evaluate the shill-factor of every comment, though.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!