much better

Story: KDE 4.2: I'm tired of Pundits, Here's MY TakeTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
bhuot

Jan 29, 2009
8:52 AM EDT
I think it works great, once I was able to see my desktop icons and stopped the single click. I am using the openSUSE 11.1 KDE 4.2 live CD which I installed in Vmware. I finally found a desktop set up I like on a Linux desktop. I don't have any of the effects enabled, but the hardware requirements may be a little steep as the installer said it needed at least 1GB of RAM. To get the normal desktop where you double click and see icons, right click and choose "Appearance Settings" and under "Desktop Activity", choose "Folder View."
tracyanne

Jan 29, 2009
8:57 AM EDT
I don't use desktop icons, and the plasmoids n the desktop are simply annoying.
devnet

Jan 29, 2009
3:26 PM EDT
Quoting:and the plasmoids n the desktop are simply annoying

Turn em off or don't use them :) I'm sure you already knew that though...but others seem to forget that they can.
tracyanne

Jan 29, 2009
5:01 PM EDT
@devnet: yes I do. Just pointing it out.

At the moment I'm not seeing a lot of useful functionality that wasn't there in 3.x, and some important, at least to me, functionality that is in 3.x still missing. 4.2 is at least usable as a day to day desktop, which 4.1 wasn't (and should never have been released by the Distributors - I blame them NOT the KDE devs - as the default desktop).

Bling doesn't excite me, couldn't give a rats about it, functionality does. If my desktop is functional and responsive then and only then will I look at whether bling can be added, if it detracts from responsiveness it goes, no matter how pretty.

Back to the plasmoids. It's a pity they are so damned annoying, because there is the possibility that I might want to use them at some point, but the annoyance factor is such that even if I find one that delivers something I find really useful, I wont be able to use it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!