TaxAct.com

Story: H & R Block Works with LinuxTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
ComputerBob

Jan 31, 2009
3:05 PM EDT
For the past few years, I've used Linux with TaxAct.com.

Last year, I was using Debian Etch with Iceweasel. This year, I'll be using Debian Lenny with Iceweasel.

Free online Federal tax return and free electronic filing. No problems.
jdixon

Jan 31, 2009
5:10 PM EDT
Agreed. As noted on the other thread, we've used it the past two years with no problems. Two wingtips up.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 31, 2009
6:14 PM EDT
I use an accountant.
jdixon

Jan 31, 2009
7:15 PM EDT
> I use an accountant.

Accountants cost money. When you don't itemize, TaxAct is a better deal.
NoDough

Jan 31, 2009
9:08 PM EDT
I compared TurboTax and TaxAct last year. TurboTax found me ~$350 more in refund than TaxAct.

TurboTax does have that nasty we-don't-support-your-configuration warning up front, but I ignored it and it worked just fine.
jdixon

Jan 31, 2009
10:33 PM EDT
> TurboTax found me ~$350 more in refund than TaxAct.

As noted above, we don't itemize, so there shouldn't be any difference for us. TurboTax probably does do a better job with complex returns, but then as Bob noted, if your taxes are that complex, you're probably better off with a real accountant.
land0

Feb 01, 2009
9:54 AM EDT
@NoDough

It is good to know that you were able to push past the middle finger screen in Turbo Tax this year.

@Bob_Robertson and @jdixon Do your accountants use Freedomware by any chance? ;) :D
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 01, 2009
9:57 AM EDT
Well thanks to you guys, if you have your ad blockers turned off you would see the TaxAct ads at the top of the page now..lol.
jdixon

Feb 01, 2009
12:16 PM EDT
> Do your accountants use Freedomware by any chance? ;) :D

We've only used an accountant one time, when my wife's mother passed away and we had to worry about estate taxes, life insurance, et. al. That would have been in 1996, so I doubt he did.
land0

Feb 01, 2009
3:50 PM EDT
@Scott_Ruecker

LOL

azerthoth

Feb 01, 2009
5:34 PM EDT
@Scott, 1 ad in a bazillion or so ... I think the ad blocker stays on.
NoDough

Feb 01, 2009
8:11 PM EDT
I'm with you, Az.
tuxchick

Feb 01, 2009
8:13 PM EDT
The LXer ad feeds are unobtrusive. Not like sites that make you click past full-age ads just to get to the articles, and then 80% of the screen is taken up by more ads. For shame, ye freeloaders!
NoDough

Feb 01, 2009
8:21 PM EDT
It's not like I would click on the ads anyway.
jezuch

Feb 02, 2009
2:58 AM EDT
Quoting:and then 80% of the screen is taken up by more ads.

You mean, like Garfield's site? http://kronika-paranoika.jogger.pl/files/www.garfield.com.pn... [Well, not everything's an ad, but it's a sad sight nonetheless]

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!