Novice user

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
jacog

Feb 03, 2009
5:06 AM EDT
My girlfriend sold her PC to her landlady. She formatted the drive, set up Winders XP and got networking and suchlike set up for this lady.

Yesterday she got a message from the landlady stating that she needed to do some work from home, but "the internet" was not working on the machine. Ok, so off goes Delyth to check the broken machine, opened a browser, and poof, the MSN Home page popped up. *boggle*

Turns out that on this person's PC at work, the browser's default page is set to Google. She was completely confounded when she saw the MSN page upon opening, and just assumed it must be broken. I understand computer-illiteracy, but for a basic user, surely some basic principles must be taught. Things to keep in mind when selling Linux pre-installed also.
theboomboomcars

Feb 03, 2009
10:43 AM EDT
It is amazing how even the slightest difference in what the computer does throws some people off.

To combat this with the most computer illiterate person I have set up a linux box for I put very Large icons at the bottom of the desktop (I really like icon scaling) There are 4 of them, labeled internet, Cards, Writing, and Spreadsheet. She knows what a spreadsheet is because she used them at work. I had her click on the icons and see if she could use the programs, she had a few questions but it went well. I have to go in for a support call once when an update broke her X.

So linux can be setup to be used by those afraid of a computer, probably better than windows, but you have to show them around and let them play with it a bit while you are there to help answer questions.

So did your girlfriend change her homepage to google?
jacog

Feb 03, 2009
11:44 AM EDT
I believe she went so far as to explain the differences between the concepts of internet vs web sites.
hkwint

Feb 03, 2009
11:48 AM EDT
So Google is a terrorist target after all: Make it look like MSN and there will be panic throughout the world!
tuxchick

Feb 03, 2009
11:52 AM EDT
Can't blame Windows user for being scared all the time, since they have so little control of their own machines, while every random malware can do whatever it wants.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 03, 2009
12:07 PM EDT
Google is a terrorist organization? I thought Linux was..

Check out the MS add on this page..too funny..

http://www.vsubhash.com/writeups/multiboot_os.asp
jacog

Feb 03, 2009
12:18 PM EDT
Heh, funny. Fake ad, I assume? If real, I might also point out that the remaining two of those 10 are busy doing their flight planning using Microsoft Flight Simulator.
hkwint

Feb 04, 2009
1:19 PM EDT
Quoting:Google is a terrorist organization?

No, target or 'medium to bug the dig-illiterate' . But I'll have to stop talking about the t-word above or the CIA might 'cancel' LXer.

You cannot post until you login.