This is going to sound really bad..

Story: WINE AscendantTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 04, 2009
8:59 PM EDT
This is going to sound really bad but I have not used WINE very much..ever. :-) Sorry.

Having switched to Linux some time ago the only thing I ever really needed was a office suite for College and having had OO.o native on Windows since forever I was a happy man. Mainstream games were the only thing I couldn't do on Linux and me not being a 'gamer' per se, it was never that big a deal. I just boot into XP, do my gaming, and boot back into Linux. I even have a subscription to Cedega that I have never used. I guess I should..

Now that I have a KVM switch (and another desktop running only Linux) I just leave it running XP most of the time anyway. It helps to have a machine running Windows to bang on and try things out on that I hear about.

The other thing is..

I have been waiting for a post like this from someone who knows what's up. I guess I need to check it out huh?

;-)
twickline

Feb 04, 2009
9:09 PM EDT
You have been missing one of the greatest joy's Linux has to offer, to me Wine is much more then a emulation layer its actually fun to see a app or game run for the first time.

Wine is also like the drinking Wine, it might be a little bitter at first but once you get the taste for it it's rather intoxicating.

You could also check out PlayOnLinux its a free front end to Wine with scripts to make playing your favorite games easy...

Their is also CrossOver Games from CodeWeavers, and it runs on Linux, Mac and BSD.

Cheers,

Tom
TxtEdMacs

Feb 04, 2009
9:26 PM EDT
twickline,

Pushing the devil's brew hmm? Trying to corrupt this fair site and these gracious folk? HOW DARE YOU? [**]

Wine is for wineos not the upright folk that walk the straight and narrow paths. Stay away from books other than the one true One. Stay away from learnin, because it's so misleading.

I am speechless, unless I get some cash to go on. Off to my pulpit where I can pull down some real dough for this gig.

Bye folks, for now - Your Buddy Txt.

** Maybe some kind soul will clue this innocent in about the tone in which it was written. Seems to be a new alias I have not noticed.
twickline

Feb 05, 2009
4:22 AM EDT
TxtEdMacs,

The devil's brew would be pushing Windows 7 don't you think? I'm pushing a open source project that everyone with a open mind can benefit from...
dinotrac

Feb 05, 2009
4:49 AM EDT
twickline -

There is no Windows 7, just Windows ReVista-ited.
twickline

Feb 05, 2009
8:58 AM EDT
dinotrac,

Hahaha... So true!
TxtEdMacs

Feb 05, 2009
9:15 AM EDT
May I call you twinky? (speaking to you twickline),

You responded to the ridiculous statements with a semi-serious argument? Are you lost?

Whatever, twinky from now on it is my chore to keep you on the straight and narrow path towards Righteousness. [First lesson: ignore anything dino says, except this time when he was right on the mark. Getting hard to keep these rules in order, but hang on we will get it right.]

Your buddy Txt. (aka YBT)
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 05, 2009
4:41 PM EDT
Thank You Tom for not hurting me..lol.

I am going to check out that playonlinux website you told me about for sure. Its about time I kicked that last Microsoft habit of mine..

Scott

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!