Infection

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
rijelkentaurus

Feb 06, 2009
12:08 AM EDT
Testing out Windows 7 (sucks so far, what would you expect?)...there is a link that helios (as I recall) posted to a nasty website that will infect a Windows machine in about no time...does anyone remember that link? I recall it being referenced elsewhere as a "dare" site for Windows folks to try out. I want to take this VM there.......
jacog

Feb 06, 2009
4:16 AM EDT
Might possibly have been astalavista.box.sk ... it's a piraty/cracky/hacky search site, so the site itself is not necessarily diseased, but most of the search results probably are.
theboomboomcars

Feb 06, 2009
10:19 AM EDT
Here is a link to the blog post http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/06/my-linux-box-is-infect...
tracyanne

Feb 06, 2009
5:17 PM EDT
Nothing happens when I surf to the page.
theboomboomcars

Feb 06, 2009
5:28 PM EDT
The post is pretty old so it seems logical that the offending adverts and such have probably been changed by now.

Clicking on the link I get sent to a wiki style page when I allow scripts it takes me to a DEMO Ad page with a link that continues to load but nothing comes up. So it seems that the ad is not as malicious now, but it still wont allow you to see the target page if you allow scripts.
jdixon

Feb 06, 2009
5:46 PM EDT
TA:

Which page? Ken's post or astalavista?

Firefox with NoScript should offer pretty good protection, but I wouldn't recommend tryng astalavista with IE.
tracyanne

Feb 06, 2009
6:48 PM EDT
the link he talks about.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!