But Scott

Story: The Death of the NewspaperTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
theboomboomcars

Feb 06, 2009
10:06 AM EDT
What about the sunday comics. Isn't that the whole purpose of the newspaper? Sure most of them are no good, and those that are you can get online, but they are all there in one convenient location.

Although I do have to admit that I do not nor do I plan on subscribing to a newspaper.
skai955

Feb 06, 2009
10:45 AM EDT
Reminds me of a video, nowhere to be found on the net these days. The scene was taking place in a not so far future, it was supposed to be a video from a "media museum", explaining how came the end of the new york times in year 2020 (not sure of the date ;-) ).

It was basically what you say here, with lots of explanations on how people craved for infos, and new sources of info overwhelmed the aper-news industry.

If only i could put the mouse on this vid..
vainrveenr

Feb 06, 2009
1:54 PM EDT
Quoting:Sure most of them are no good, and those that are you can get online, but they are all there in one convenient location.
This leads to the excellent point that when readers/users must be offline, there may be few viable alternatives other than newspapers for receiving news. Perhaps one of the best examples of this is when one is travelling by bus or train through areas of poor or even nonexistent wireless/cell reception (e.g., tunnels, bridges, certain bldgs, far distances from transmitting towers, ... etc) Typically, daily commuters in major metropolitan areas across the World must actually rely upon daily printed news coverage. A folded newspaper section takes up less space than a laptop and requires no external power-source other than the ambient outside lighting.

As a related aside, one could also make the related claim that broadcast news radio replaces both online access and newspapers for driving commuters and/or for those who must otherwise multitask without using any type of a video console (e.g., TV, computer monitor, handheld display, ... etc.) News radio certainly reigns supreme for providing near-realtime traffic and weather conditions to drivers and non-computer multitaskers . One specific concern for broadcast news radio, however, is that many if not most radio stations seem to broadcast the bulk of their ad-free major news stories on the hour every hour. Even the more complete news coverage on traffic and weather conditions only occurs at certain fixed times per hour. This leads to the everpresent vehicle commuting tactic of keeping several radio stations (news, talkshows, music) stored in memory readily available to be switched to at a moment's notice. Just like for broadcast TV, ads and infomercials on broadcast radio can be noisome at times. At least with a newspaper, one can easily gloss over or toss out the ads and included circulars.

pcunix

Feb 06, 2009
7:22 PM EDT
A person who reads only the NY Times(or whatever) starts to think like NYT. A person who reads the web has much more to work with, has to separate cr@p from gold, and (unless they are only reading one site) knows much more than we ever did in the past.

The journalists often pretend we aren't capable of sorting out the junk. True, some of us are not, but those folks don't read serious newspapers or magazines anyway. They read the junk at the supermarket checkout lines. The rest of us are capable of thinking for ourselves, thank you.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 06, 2009
8:38 PM EDT
@skai955: This one? http://idorosen.com/mirrors/robinsloan.com/epic/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!