Ack

Story: Red Hat, Microsoft Partner On Server VirtualizationTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
softwarejanitor

Feb 16, 2009
4:35 PM EDT
I think I will scratch Red Hat off my list along with Novell now... Make my servers either CentOS or Ubuntu I guess...
Sander_Marechal

Feb 16, 2009
4:39 PM EDT
That makes no sense softwarejanitor. The problem with the Novell deal is that Novell bought into the patent FUD. Red Hat does not. This is a simple deal of "you certify my software and I will certify yours".
tuxchick

Feb 16, 2009
4:52 PM EDT
It's worth noting that MS even made this deal, which is pretty funny given their increasing torrents of anti-Linux propaganda, and its allegedly miniscule market share, meaning it can be safely ignored. Ahem. Reminds me of the kid on the playground yelling "I'm ignoring you!" at the other kid, until someone yells at him to shut up already.
softwarejanitor

Feb 16, 2009
4:59 PM EDT
It may not be as bad as the Novell deal, but I'm not sure Red Hat can play with Microsoft and not get sucked into something bad. It seems like a trap. I'd rather avoid contact with MS as much as possible.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 16, 2009
5:03 PM EDT
Where would the trap be? At least give us a possible scenario, however unlikely.
tracyanne

Feb 16, 2009
5:48 PM EDT
The reasoning is this: I dislike Micosoft, therefore any deal with them is teh suxors
softwarejanitor

Feb 16, 2009
5:49 PM EDT
From that short article we don't know what all the terms of the agreements are. I don't think it could possibly be that simple, there has to be a lot more to it than what they are saying.
tracyanne

Feb 16, 2009
6:12 PM EDT
@TC I think we can safely assume that Linux market share is considerably higher than anyone is saying given actions taken by Microsoft and the incredible increase in sales experienced by the world of goo when they ported to Linux.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 16, 2009
6:14 PM EDT
@tracyanne: I haven't heared about that last bit. Is World of Goo selling well on Linux? Got link? Figures?
tracyanne

Feb 16, 2009
6:25 PM EDT
I think Ken will blog on it shortly.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 16, 2009
6:31 PM EDT
I found an article about in in the newswire queue about it. It should be on the front page in ~8 hours.
KernelShepard

Feb 16, 2009
8:42 PM EDT
softwarejanitor: *groan* Red Hat are Good Guys, let's not be knee-jerk reactionists.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!