"WMV/WMA"?

Story: Moonshine brings Windows Media to LinuxTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
DrDubious

Feb 17, 2009
12:31 PM EDT
That's all this gives you? Can't mplayerplug-in do this already?
bigg

Feb 17, 2009
1:18 PM EDT
There are some streams that you can't get with mplayer. The bigger issue is that there are no legal concerns if you get the codecs from Microsoft.
KernelShepard

Feb 17, 2009
8:15 PM EDT
According to http://abock.org/2009/02/11/announcing-moonshine-the-project... it also has the added feature:

"Additionally, a further piece of JavaScript is bound to the plugin object that emulates pieces of the standard Windows Media ActiveX/object API for further compatibility."

Which is something mplayerplug-in doesn't do afaik.
caitlyn

Feb 17, 2009
8:49 PM EDT
I'm going to have to try this and see if it works with CastUp. mplayerplug-in doesn't. It would be really nice to be able to get some streaming video from Israel that I can't get now.
herzeleid

Feb 17, 2009
9:05 PM EDT
@caitlyn - do let us know if it works.
caitlyn

Feb 17, 2009
9:09 PM EDT
@herzeleid: It doesn't work. I no longer get ther error that I have to install Windows Media Player. Instead I get an error telling me the requested program can't be displayed... after displaying maybe two seconds worth. Grrr....

I was really upset when IBA went to CastUp for their streaming and dumped RealPlayer support. I had this brief feeling that maybe I'd be able to watch IBA News on my netbook. Nah... ain't gonna happen.
tuxchick

Feb 17, 2009
9:24 PM EDT
Dumping RealPlayer should have been good news, since it's spyware/adware supreme. It takes ingenuity to find something worse!
caitlyn

Feb 17, 2009
9:34 PM EDT
tuxchick: You don't have to use RealPlayer to get a RealPlayer feed. I could watch IBA News in Linux with mplayer-plugin or xine when they supported that. Can't watch it at all with CastUp.

ColonelPanik

Feb 18, 2009
8:53 AM EDT
WMV/WMA?

No thanks, I use Linux.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!