ColonelPanik

Feb 27, 2009
3:58 PM EDT
Can we sue?
number6x

Feb 27, 2009
4:06 PM EDT
Its still beta...

I'm sure that they will have more bugs perfected by the time it goes live.

:)
Bob_Robertson

Feb 27, 2009
4:07 PM EDT
No. It's in the EULA:

By using this product, you absolve MICROSOFT of any and all responsibility for any problems that may arise from the use of this product. But it's still not yours, it's ours, you're just paying through the nose to use it with our limitted permission until we say otherwise.

Ok, I paraphrased a bit, but that's the gist of it.
alc

Feb 27, 2009
4:32 PM EDT
They are not bugs.They are features that will only get better with time.Trust us.:)
tracyanne

Feb 27, 2009
5:16 PM EDT
I been told by a reliable source... my Windows loving boss, that Windows 7 will solve all problems. Well actually it wasn't me that was told that, it was one of the new blokes, who is labouring under Vista (he's got a Dell XPS with dual core 2.66 CPU and 4 Gig of RAM, but he's turned the fancy Vista desktop off, and is using the minimalist no frills desktop, to get some performance out of it), he's complained about performance problems to the boss, who told him "just wait until Windows 7 is released, we'll install it then, that will fix your problems, we don't run beta software here, so you'll have to wait till then"

That also tells me that he too is experiencing problems with his Vista rig, but I don't think I'll be hearing him admit that.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 27, 2009
5:28 PM EDT
I wouldn't mind installing it for a test run under VirtualBox, but to give it a whole machine to itself...no. Maybe I can get a copy of the beta on the Pirate Bay?

Edit: Not just no but HELL NO!

============= http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4738327/Microsoft.Windows.7.... Microsoft.Windows.7.Build.7022.x86.Core.Edition-LiTE

system req:

dual core 1giga 4giga hdd [ or ssd ] =============

And you should look at the list of what he stripped out!

Bleck.

The stripped down nothing seems at least installable:

============= http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4735935/Windows_7_Home_Basic... Windows 7 Home Basic Optimized v1 is a modified version of Windows 7 Home Basic Beta 1 - Build 7000 - made to work on older computers, which contains a weak hardware. Unnecessary features were removed, settings were optimized and more. Works with 256MB of RAM, running fine with 320MB. ... Minimum configurations:

* Computer with a 200 Mhz processor or higher; * 256MB of RAM; * 15GB Hard Drive with 6.5 GB free; * 8MB onboard video card and monitor with Super VGA (800x600) or higher; * CD or DVD drive (depending on the version you download). ============

Ok, I am so gullible. I thought that, with the feedback from the loathing of Vista, Microsoft might, maybe, have made Windows 7 something that wasn't trying to shoe-horn an M1-A1 Abrahams into a Yugo frame.

But NoooOOOOooo.

I give up. Not even out of curiosity, pirated. No way.
tracyanne

Feb 27, 2009
5:59 PM EDT
There's nothing useful left.
caitlyn

Feb 28, 2009
6:14 PM EDT
In fairness you can't judge a final product by the beta in terms of number of bugs.

I looked at the system requirements and the mind boggles. This is the OS they say will run well on netbooks? Really? I hope the requirements are that heavy when it comes out for real. Watch Linux make further inroads into the desktop market.
KernelShepard

Mar 01, 2009
8:08 PM EDT
To be fair, Gtk+ itself has more bugs than Windows 7 if all it has is 2000 bugs.

Gtk+: Total Bugs 2740

2000 bugs for an entire OS is pretty small.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 01, 2009
8:38 PM EDT
2000 bugs we KNOW about.

Yes, it is low for an entire OS. Too low. I don't trust it.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 02, 2009
3:50 AM EDT
It's not 2000 bugs in Windows 7. It's 2000 crasher bugs.
hkwint

Mar 02, 2009
12:34 PM EDT
Quoting:that Windows 7 will solve all problems.

Wait, you mean Vista wasn't ought to do so? I missed something. If Win7 does, nobody will ever need a successor to it, and if that's the case it might be worthwhile.

Quoting:To be fair, Gtk+ itself has more bugs than Windows 7 if all it has is 2000 bugs.

The article says: At least 2000 bugs. 2740 qualifies for 'at least 2000' as well I suppose.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!