Pixel density isn't everything

Story: Netbooks May Be Small But What Is Their Pixel Density?Total Replies: 24
Author Content
caitlyn

Mar 03, 2009
4:39 PM EDT
Pixel density equates to how sharp the image on the screen is. Higher pixel density equals sharper images. Yes, many netbooks have high pixel densities, hence their very sharp displays, which does make the small screens more readable. However, they still leave you with limited screen estate. Size of what is displayed on the screen certainly matters as well, especially to older or tired eyes.

dinotrac

Mar 03, 2009
5:23 PM EDT
No kidding.

A sharp clear image that you can't resolve is just as bad as fuzzy blurry image that you can't resolve.
tuxchick

Mar 03, 2009
5:24 PM EDT
I have a little Lenovo S10 Ideapad on loan for review, and its sharpness and brightness are amazing. Very nice little machine.
caitlyn

Mar 03, 2009
6:08 PM EDT
@tuxchick: Nice. I have the same comment about the Sylvania g Netbook Meso I use. Actually, the display on the original Sylvania g Netbook I had was also excellent. It's a pity not much else was that good.
tuxchick

Mar 03, 2009
6:08 PM EDT
But I think I'm going to hold out for an ARM-based netbook. Way more battery life, and no way at all to run Windows. haha!
caitlyn

Mar 03, 2009
6:10 PM EDT
@tuxchick: From what I hear you won't have to wait long. OTOH, there is no way to run Windows on my machine unless it's stolen from me ::)
Sander_Marechal

Mar 03, 2009
6:20 PM EDT
@tuxchick: I case you missed it, there was a great ARM netbook earlier on in the newswire: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/116711/index.html
tuxchick

Mar 03, 2009
6:37 PM EDT
I saw that Sander, it looks soooo cool!
techiem2

Mar 03, 2009
6:51 PM EDT
*drool*
hkwint

Mar 03, 2009
6:52 PM EDT
Pixel density does matter, and it's a shame they didn't touch upon the 'mother of all netbooks' which has a nifty way to increase this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLPC_XO-1#Display_resolution
Sander_Marechal

Mar 03, 2009
6:57 PM EDT
But plain old resolution matters too. It's nice to have a high pixel density, but if you still only have 800 pixels vertical resolution you're still scrolling like mad on most websites.
caitlyn

Mar 03, 2009
7:08 PM EDT
@Sander: 800? Most netbooks only have 600 (as in 1024x600) or 480 (as in 800x480). I find I get used to that really quickly and it doesn't bother me.
techiem2

Mar 03, 2009
7:15 PM EDT
My 13" laptop is 1280x800 and I find it works quite well. Yes, some sites require a bit of scrolling, but most of those sites would require a bit of scrolling at most resolutions. lol.
tuxchick

Mar 03, 2009
7:20 PM EDT
techiem2, that's my Rant #3: Who the Eff Are Web Devs Sizing Web Pages For? 82" Plasma Screens? **foam yell wave hands**
tracyanne

Mar 03, 2009
7:24 PM EDT
we still develop for 1024 by 768
techiem2

Mar 03, 2009
7:26 PM EDT
Yeah. I mean, it makes sense for sites like this that have a list of articles, blogs, etc. But for general information sites, etc. you really wonder. It's like they are all developping on huge displays with super high resolutions and assume everyone has the same. Or all those people never had any training in good design... I wonder how many people are still running at 1024x768?
caitlyn

Mar 03, 2009
7:34 PM EDT
@techiem2: Considering how fast netbooks are selling they really out to develop for 1024x600. FWIW, my aging Toshiba laptop (OK, it's just plain old) runs at 1024x768 as does my even older 14" flat panel monitor. So, too answer your last question, I think lots of people do. Do support in a forum for a Linux distro that supports legacy hardware and you'd be amazed how much old stuff is still in daily use.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 03, 2009
7:54 PM EDT
@tracyanne: Many of the sites I built even run in 800x600 (not my personal website though). Just to make sure people using e.g. phones can still use it. It may not be pretty looking but it still works without horizontal scrolling.
jezuch

Mar 04, 2009
3:11 AM EDT
High-dpi displays are the future. Unfortunately, AFAIK, only KDE4 is preparing for this future with vector images "everywhere". I have a laptop at work with higher screen resolution than usual and using anything bitmap-based is a pain. [Even illustrations on Wikipedia!]

Quoting:Or all those people never had any training in good design...

I always thought it was a synonym of "web designer" :)
tuxtom

Mar 04, 2009
6:05 AM EDT
I know it's not a netbook, but I have a 14" Dell 1420 (one of Dell's original OEM Ubuntu offerings). It has the optional screen upgrade that runs 1440x900 and it is oh so very sweet. You can always up the font and icon sizes when you get older...and I'm getting older...but you never grow tired of all that wonderful real estate.
maxxedout

Mar 04, 2009
10:04 AM EDT
anyone who installs frontpage (or what ever they call it now) thinks their a "web designer" ;)
tuxtom

Mar 04, 2009
11:08 AM EDT
I think it's called Dreamweaver.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 04, 2009
11:29 AM EDT
Nope, that's a separate app (and an expensive one at that). Frontpage has been redubbed "Microsoft Expression Web". Ever heared of it? Me neither. Just goes to show how "popular" it has been of late...
tuxtom

Mar 06, 2009
4:48 AM EDT
Sander, I was being sarcastic about Dreamweaver.

And , yes, I've heard of Expression Web...never used it. It really looks like a Microsoft clone of the Adobe suite that is intended to keep you locked into the IIS/.NET paradigm.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 06, 2009
1:44 PM EDT
Personally, I'm looking forward to when the "video glasses" are finally light enough to actually use.

Wow, there are more of then than I thought...

http://www.stereo3d.com/hmd.htm

http://www.inition.co.uk/inition/products.php?CatID_=8

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!