More on why I hate journalists

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
bigg

Mar 04, 2009
11:52 AM EDT
There's an interesting article on Bloomberg about Microsoft's netbook problem: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=auGu.FxP...

It discusses Microsoft's problems, how Windows 7 on netbooks will be crippled, and how Microsoft's scam is to charge you for the features you want (like being able to run more than 3 apps at a time!) only after you already own the netbook and realize you don't have those features.

The 'journalist' obviously didn't do much research on the netbook market, and didn't talk to anyone outside the Microsoft list of approved sources. Astonishingly, there's not a single reference to Linux. Apparently XP is killing Microsoft because it's cheaper. Why is it cheaper? Go ahead, say it. Windows is no longer the dominant OS. Anyone writing about netbooks should know about Linux.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 04, 2009
12:02 PM EDT
Does this mean you hate me too? ;-)

bigg

Mar 04, 2009
12:09 PM EDT
I hate you, but it doesn't have anything to do with this.

(I also hate emotion, but just to be clear, I will add this: ;-) )
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 04, 2009
12:12 PM EDT
I respect your honesty..I think..lol!
theboomboomcars

Mar 04, 2009
2:35 PM EDT
I always find it funny that the most expensive to make version of Windows is the cheapest and the cheapest one to develop is the most expensive.

You want windows that doesn't have restrictions on the number of cores it will use, how much ram it will recognize, how many programs it will run, etc.? That will be an arm, a leg, and your left buttock.

You want windows that will only use 1gb of ram, 1 core, no connect to a network, and run 1 program at a time? That will be both your small toe.

The more they take out the less they charge you for it. Ridiculous.
techiem2

Mar 04, 2009
2:47 PM EDT
lol. I never thought of it that way, but you're exactly right.....

With Linux the more you add or take away the more the price...uh...stays the same.....
tracyanne

Mar 04, 2009
5:07 PM EDT
@theboomboom: I made a similar comment around the time I switched from Windows to Linux. I used to use the server versions of Windows, as they were the most useful, I noted at the the time that Microsoft had to spend extra time and money to block or remove all that functionality for the various consumer desktop versions.
hkwint

Mar 04, 2009
7:33 PM EDT
Quoting:The more they take out the less they charge you for it. Ridiculous.

They tried doing it the other way around, but as far as I know the whole Vista Ultimate thing failed because there was no Ultimate content (think like 'Enderle Ultimate content').
dinotrac

Mar 05, 2009
6:02 AM EDT
Hey --

Am I too late for the "I hate Scott" train?

For the record, I hate you, too, Scott.

I like your toilet paper, though. It's only one-ply, which is better for the environment and doesn't clog my toilets as much as the "fluffy" kind.
jacog

Mar 05, 2009
6:26 AM EDT
Hmmm... generally one can't really say "I hate journalists" and then list a bunch of things you dislike about bad journalism... because there will be those who do it right by all your listed criteria ... they research, report things as observed, no bias/slants/agenda ... and yet they would still fall under your "I hate" umbrella.

My wife is back at NPR now. Her stories are well researched and she'll always have commentary from all sides of any given issue. Plus she's a hound for facts and certainly not a lazy reporter. But she still sits under the bigg umbrella.

"I hate Scott." is fine. "I hate journalists/firemen/jews/Canadians." is not.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 05, 2009
9:22 AM EDT
LOL, Dino, your awesome!
dinotrac

Mar 05, 2009
9:43 AM EDT
Thank you , Scott, from the bottom of my...well, just from the bottom.

You cannot post until you login.