an ancient operating system

Story: Netbooks: proof the tech industry has gone nutsTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
tracyanne

Mar 05, 2009
12:48 AM EDT
Quoting:It's a netbook - a Samsung NC-10 with a bog standard Atom chip, a bit of RAM and an ancient operating system.

Obviously he's not using a Linux powered netbook.
techiem2

Mar 05, 2009
1:09 AM EDT
And he's comparing it to a MacBook Pro....lol
tracyanne

Mar 05, 2009
1:18 AM EDT
You can actually do the things he says you can't, with a Linux powered version
caitlyn

Mar 05, 2009
4:07 AM EDT
Yep. He writes as if Linux doesn't exist or isn't worth considering.

In fairness I'm not sure Samsung offers a Linux version. He'd have to go with another brand.
gus3

Mar 05, 2009
5:00 AM EDT
Maybe it's Slackware from the early days.

I still have a hankering to try installing the CD from my copy of The Slackware Bible. It had kernel 1.2.13. It might not be very capable, but I'm sure it'd be screaming fast.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 05, 2009
12:08 PM EDT
I finally threw out my Win95 disk and manual. Sorry, should have kept it for someone's netbook.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 05, 2009
1:52 PM EDT
Stay in the modern world and thrown Slackware 8 on it ...
jdixon

Mar 05, 2009
2:32 PM EDT
> I finally threw out my Win95 disk and manual. Sorry, should have kept it for someone's netbook.

Good luck finding wireless drivers for any of the dos based versions of Windows. :(
Bob_Robertson

Mar 05, 2009
5:45 PM EDT
JD, actually, the reason I finally threw it out was that I gave up trying to find a CD-Rom driver to install it under VirtualBox. Finding the floppy image was quite easy, but no driver for the ROM so, well, I had a booted floppy and nothing else.

Too bad, so sad, such is life.

Really, all I wanted to do was play Privateer again...
d0nk3y

Mar 05, 2009
7:06 PM EDT
Bob - check out out the remake of Privateer universe at http://wcuniverse.sourceforge.net/ (oh, looks like it's offline at the moment).

It's brilliant - works in linux natively too (based on the vegastrike engine)..
Bob_Robertson

Mar 05, 2009
7:37 PM EDT
d0, tried that, bombed out.

VegaStrike all by itself looks quite good, but it's not even stable enough to make it into Debian stable!

I really do miss Privateer. And StarFlight.

Ah, StarFlight. If ever there was a candidate for "releasing to OpenSource", that's it. Phenomenal programming, utterly obsolete.
caitlyn

Mar 05, 2009
8:16 PM EDT
@Steven: Slackware 8 is modern? I've not seen a netbook yet that lacks the horsepower to run Slackware 12.2 in some form or another. The real low end ones would be better off without KDE, of course, but that isn't a mandatory part of Slackware, is it?

What is the advantage of going with an ancient version of Linux other than nostalgia? DOS games, OS/2 software, some old Windows stuff is a very separate issue than old versions of Linux
jacog

Mar 06, 2009
1:50 AM EDT
Bob_R: You could of course also give X3: Reunion a try. X2 was good (well, if you ignore the utterly dismal voice acting and narrative and stick to just playing the game).

http://x3.linuxgamepublishing.com/

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!