Relatively simple bookkeeping/invoicing software for Linux/Unix

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 10, 2009
11:55 AM EDT
I'm completely ignorant about all things having to do with accounting, bookkeeping and the like, so I need help.

For my burgeoning freelance business (I have one client ... better than none, right?), I need some kind of software that will help me with billing and record-keeping.

In this case, simple is good.

Suggestions?
Sander_Marechal

Mar 10, 2009
12:09 PM EDT
For one client, the simplest thing you can do is simply manually in Calc or Gnumeric.

I have about 6 clients now and I still do it manually (I am having some problems installing a Firebird server for osFinancials). I created a template Quote and Invoice in OOo Writer and fill that out manually. I have one Calc sheet that tracks incoming and outgoing cash from my bank account (everything goes through the bank account, no cash or cheques here) and one other Calc sheet to tracks the number of hours I work on certain projects. You can't get any simpler than that.

Beyond that, look into GNUCash and osFinancials (Windows, but FOSS and supported under Wine).
jdixon

Mar 10, 2009
12:09 PM EDT
Steven, simple is good now, but will it still be good in 2 years, 5 years, or 10 years. Unless the application makes it easy to export your data, you also need to make sure your chosen solution will be capable of meeting your future needs.

That said, outside of the obvious names (gnucash, etc.), I don't have any suggestions. It's not a field I've looked at much. However, you may find the article on accounting packages at LWN informative: http://lwn.net/Articles/314577/
theboomboomcars

Mar 10, 2009
12:14 PM EDT
This article hit the news wire a few months ago it may be of help to you. http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20080927164237918/Financia...
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 12, 2009
12:58 AM EDT
Thanks, everybody. I've recently been curing myself of an aversion to spreadsheets and have been using OO Calc a bit already, so Sander's idea is probably the way I'll go. Just out of curiosity (and because it's an OpenBSD port), I'll play around with Gnucash and see how it works.
caitlyn

Mar 12, 2009
1:08 AM EDT
GNUCash isn't bad at all. Homebank is more for home finance than for business. There are a variety of proprietary packages that cost anywhere from a little to a lot that are really business centric but are almost certainly overkill for a small consulting startup or freelance consultant's needs (i.e.: QuickBooks).

The nice thing about doing it in OOCalc or Gnumeric is that you can customize it any way you need. The not so nice thing is that it is more work than an off the shelf solution.
gus3

Mar 12, 2009
2:24 AM EDT
Since nobody else has said it, I must ask: Do you understand the basics of double-entry accounting?

If not, I strongly suggest you take a course or two at your local community college. You will then be better equipped to use, and understand, accounting programs.
caitlyn

Mar 12, 2009
2:30 AM EDT
gus3: Excellent point. I was going to raise that issue but I was afraid of saying it in a way that would come across as insulting or condescending, which I don't want to be. I come from a family of accountants (both parents, brother) so they made sure I knew how to keep books properly.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 12, 2009
6:12 AM EDT
Even better: Simply shell out some cash for a real accountant. I have a background in accounting as well (Bachelor of Business Engineering here, it included accounting) so I keep my own books. But it's smart to have your worked checked by a professional accountant. If you do the work yourself and have your accountant only check the books every once in a while then it's not expensive.

That's what I do. My accountant does the salaries calculation every month (I'm not a true freelancer. I am formally employed by my own Foundation) because that's sufficiently complex for me to want to avoid it. And he checks the books once a year when taxes are due.
dinotrac

Mar 12, 2009
1:57 PM EDT
To those suggesting Gnucash --

Do you know if it still uses floating point math?

If so -- STEER CLEAR.

Financial apps should be doing decimal math to avoid accumulation errors.
caitlyn

Mar 12, 2009
3:00 PM EDT
Sander is absolutely right. I'm fortunate enough to have professional accountants in the family so my books get checked for free. If I didn't have that, yes, I'd pay for the service. That doesn't mean you don't need accounting software. You do.

Saving on accounting fees is no savings if you end up paying interest and penalties to the government because your taxes were done wrong.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 12, 2009
7:48 PM EDT
I've finally been able to properly install the osFinancials database on Firebird/Linux so I'll be switching to osFinancials under Wine soon.

Tip for people doing this: You need to have temporary access to a Windows PC. You can install osFinancials using it's own Firebird or use a remote Firebird liek your Linux server. But, the version osFinancials uses is a tad older than most version shipped with Linux. In that case you cannot simply copy the database files from the install package to your Linux server. You need to properly export them on Windows, then import them on Linux.

After that, everything works fine with Linux as the storage server and osFinancials under Wine as the client.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 12, 2009
11:01 PM EDT
I actually used Wikipedia to figure out what double-entry bookkeeping is all about. I'm accounting-ignorant.
jdixon

Mar 12, 2009
11:04 PM EDT
> I'm accounting-ignorant.

Then you'll want a professional assisting you. It's not something you can afford to get wrong.
NoDough

Mar 13, 2009
11:17 PM EDT
>> I actually used Wikipedia to figure out what double-entry bookkeeping is all about. I'm accounting-ignorant.

Me too. But I always thought of double-entry as; for every goesinna you must have a goesouta.
tuxchick

Mar 14, 2009
12:30 AM EDT
NoDough, that pretty much sums it up!

Sums. Get it? Dang, we're good.
gus3

Mar 14, 2009
9:28 AM EDT
NoDough, are you a descendant of Fra Luca Pacioli?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luca_Pacioli

You cannot post until you login.