Yeah, right - Microsoft junkies can't quit

Story: OLPC Set to Dump X86 for Arm Chips in XO-2Total Replies: 5
Author Content
DrDubious

Mar 12, 2009
11:04 AM EDT
From the article: --- "Like many, we are urging Microsoft to make Windows -- not Windows Mobile -- available on the Arm. This is a complex question for them," Negroponte said.

OLPC is in talks with Microsoft to develop a version of a full Windows OS for XO-2, Negroponte said. The XO-2 is still 18 months away from release, so "a lot can change with regard to Microsoft and Arm," Negroponte said. ---

In other words, they recognize that switching to ARM will be good for the hardware, but they really don't want to unless they can keep using it to push proprietary Microsoft software to developing countries.
gus3

Mar 12, 2009
11:23 AM EDT
I do have to wonder: If Windows had been continuously available for non-PC hardware, would Intel have gotten 64-bit and W^X sooner?
caitlyn

Mar 12, 2009
3:02 PM EDT
Let's hope they go ARM, lots of other ARM-based netbooks and notebooks come out, and Linux remains the only choice for 12-24 months. By then Windows won't be irrelevant but it no longer will be seen as the only way or even the best way to go,
Sander_Marechal

Mar 12, 2009
7:52 PM EDT
MS is caught between a rock and a hard place. If they don't port Windows to ARM then they're giving away a large chunk of the netbook market to Linux. If they do port it then it'll add two years to their release cycle and Linux will eat their x86 platform thanks to XPs outdatedness and Vista's suckiness (and still take a large chunk or ARM thanks to Windows 7's tardiness).

They will probably try to solve it by throwing an enormous amount of manpower and money at the ARM port but I predict that will fail massively. Read "The Mythical Man-Month" to understand why.
gus3

Mar 12, 2009
8:15 PM EDT
Or just read it because it's good reading.
bigg

Mar 12, 2009
9:51 PM EDT
I just like knowing that Linux is slapping Microsoft around. Even two years ago Microsoft would have ignored this. Can't do that now.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!