Seems like a great opportunity for Cuil, Mooter, or Wolfram

Story: Mozilla Contemplates a Future Without GoogleTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
caitlyn

Mar 14, 2009
12:47 AM EDT
This is a great opportunity for one of the Google challengers provided they have the cash to fork over. I wouldn't use MSN and I don't like what Yahoo has become. I would have no objection to Cuil although it doesn't come up with as many documents as Google.
hkwint

Mar 14, 2009
6:05 PM EDT
Maybe they could offer the choice at the first run between Cuil, Mooter and Wolfram?

I have been trying to solely use Cuil and have been using Mooter in the past, due to privacy concerns which caused some 'dislike for Google'. However, both Cuil and Mooter are not as good as Google, so my policy is something like comply or explain', and at this moment I can explain why I use Google. However, if one of the other search engines is better, switching will not be much of a problem. I still remember how Altavista 'died'; once it was synonym to searching on the internet (though it never became a verb). I was quite surprised how short it took until it went into oblivion. The same might happen as well to the Google search engine I guess, but they do have enough money and brains to do innovative things on the other hand.
caitlyn

Mar 14, 2009
6:32 PM EDT
Of course, Alta Vista is not dead. It just isn't used much any more. Come to think of it, Alta Vista might be another possibility.
tracyanne

Mar 14, 2009
6:57 PM EDT
Alta Vista doesn't seem to be offered as a search option for Forefox, not even in the list of get more search engines at the FF add on lists.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 14, 2009
7:58 PM EDT
I have used Cuil off and on for a few months as my default search in Firefox, its good and has gotten better but Google is just too darn easy to get too, I am already using G-mail, Calendar, Docs and Reader, I just can't get away...;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!