What about MS?

Story: Linux's dirty little secret: UninstallTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
numbers

Mar 14, 2009
10:25 AM EDT
I haven't read the article. I don't know for sure but it would be my guess that MS Windows doesn't have official uninstall instructions either. I think that because MS Windows only like to take over a hard drive instead of playing nice with anything existing on that drive.

I'm thinking it's a bit of whiney fud...

Perhaps the thinking with GNU/Linux is that we have live CD's that you can try it out with before you commit.

.....go ahead (try to) re-install MS Windows, let it take over your hard drive, see if it's as easy to install as GNU/Linux.....
Sander_Marechal

Mar 14, 2009
10:32 AM EDT
Well, you should have read the article.

Quoting:Opening the Windows XP Help and Support Center and searching for "uninstall Windows" brings up, first thing, "Uninstall Windows XP" and a 5-step process from the Control Center.
gus3

Mar 14, 2009
10:37 AM EDT
[speculation]

Is that because it's a good idea, or because some court ordered them to provide it?

[/speculation]
tuxchick

Mar 14, 2009
10:47 AM EDT
This author is flamebaiting. He's been running a series of flamebait articles full of wrong stuff on purpose. It's good for clicks, I guess.
machiner

Mar 14, 2009
10:47 AM EDT
Isn't your machine supposed to have an operating system? Can't you simply format and install another. You don't even have to format, really.

Why does an operating system need an uninstall function? What happens when the command exits?

I'm confused as to why this is even an issue.
caitlyn

Mar 14, 2009
12:18 PM EDT
It's an issue because the author wants to spread anti-Linux FUD. He makes it an issue.

It's also Linux fault in his itty bitty little mind that Windows doesn't support dual booting.
numbers

Mar 14, 2009
1:20 PM EDT
Sander_Marechal: >> Well, you should have read the article. >> >>Quoted: >>Opening the Windows XP Help and....

I opened up my VirtualBox with XP Pro and checked this out (read the steps).

It talks about uninstalling Win XP but to me it reads as if one had installed XP as an upgrade from Win 98. I don't think you would be able to access your files if you started with a bare drive, installed XP as new and later uninstalled XP.

Maybe I'll try it sometime in VirtualBox to see if it works that way.
gus3

Mar 14, 2009
1:33 PM EDT
So maybe it's a downgrade, rather than an uninstall.

Funny, Foresight Linux supports that, too, thanks to rPath/Conary.
hkwint

Mar 14, 2009
6:31 PM EDT
Don't want to be the partypooper here, but in my opinion this _is_ a valid issue. Before installing something, a normal user would like to know how to reverse to the 'original' situation. At least, that's the way it should be. If you start using MS Office, you should know if you stop using it, how to use all your .doc etc. files, even after stopping using MS Office.

The right word springs to mind again: You should have an exit strategy.

The article is quite bullish however: He complain his PC won't start while he means _Windows_ doesn't start anymore, because of the tedious process of making Windows boot again.

Here's a little secret too: If you install Windows98, it even completely messes up partitions it shouldn't even touch beyond repair, and almost _all_ your data is lost, without _any_ warning. What about that?
hkwint

Mar 14, 2009
7:24 PM EDT
This comment - from Microsoft help - says a lot, and is also quite enjoyable:

Quoting:Windows and Linux can coexist on the same computer. For additional information, refer to your Linux documentation.

Meaning, if you use anything beyond Windows, don't expect Microsoft to help you.
gus3

Mar 14, 2009
7:46 PM EDT
I wouldn't want/trust Microsoft's help on this, anyway.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!