HLN got it right

Story: Conficker: GNU/Linux's way to mainstreamTotal Replies: 23
Author Content
bigg

Mar 31, 2009
3:21 PM EDT
I was watching Headline News earlier, and it was specifically identified as a threat to "PC's running Windows". To get more information, you are supposed to go to their website and search for "Microsoft virus". Thankfully she didn't conclude by saying that if Mac and Linux were as popular as Windows, they'd be targeted too.
ColonelPanik

Mar 31, 2009
4:34 PM EDT
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/30/conficker_signature_...
tracyanne

Mar 31, 2009
4:48 PM EDT
Colour me cynical, but I don't see a sudden rush to Linux. It's good that the news people are finally stating that it's Microsoft Windows though.
bigg

Mar 31, 2009
4:52 PM EDT
I'm assuming that someone in their newsroom is a Mac user.
caitlyn

Mar 31, 2009
4:53 PM EDT
I agree with tracyanne. There will be no rush away from Windows. People have accepted malware as a fact of computing life simply because they don't know it doesn't have to be so. I also agree it's nice to see accurate reporting for a change.
softwarejanitor

Mar 31, 2009
5:13 PM EDT
I also agree with tracyanne... The unwashed masses of Windows users would mostly rather spend $$$ on anti-virus software and lose time and productivity dealing with what still manages to slip by than do anything as scary as look into alternatives that for the most part don't have the problems in the first place. And yes, a lot of them don't know there are alternatives, except maybe Macs which are expensive.
vainrveenr

Mar 31, 2009
5:17 PM EDT
Quoting:I don't see a sudden rush to Linux. It's good that the news people are finally stating that it's Microsoft Windows though.
... and as opposed to the news people themselves, the big head-honchos in Redmond OTOH probably wish to not even mention Linux in all of this! AAMOF, this "Microsoft virus" story ties in somewhat with another current story; 'Open vs Closed Source - Investing in People or a Vendor' linked to at LXer via http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/118155 Definitely a great read in lieu of conficker and its offspring, although, again, the MS head-honchos will likely ensure that news people --- and low-to-mid level technical support-staff of course --- are unlikely to completely replace their Windows and MS-advocacy anytime soon with overriding advocacy for Linux and Open Source solutions.

hkwint

Mar 31, 2009
5:30 PM EDT
Quoting:Colour me cynical, but I don't see a sudden rush to Linux.

Couldn't agree more. If (most) people have lots of problems with Windows they'd simply stop using PC's altogether.
numbers

Mar 31, 2009
6:42 PM EDT
Quoting:

Couldn't agree more. If (most) people have lots of problems with Windows they'd simply stop using PC's altogether.

Although it's probably more like:

If (most) people have lots of problems with Windows they'd simply WAIT to BUY the next MS Windows...which is always more [insert descriptor here] than the previous version of MS Windows.

ColonelPanik

Mar 31, 2009
11:16 PM EDT
There will be a rush to Linux. I hope.
gus3

Apr 01, 2009
12:17 AM EDT
Rush uses a Macintosh.

Mods, please delete this comment as an obvious TOS violation. I just couldn't resist.
hkwint

Apr 01, 2009
5:41 AM EDT
Quoting:Mods, please delete this comment

Ain't gonna happen, your comment is not off topic and worse: It makes sense.
tuxtom

Apr 01, 2009
10:58 AM EDT
I love Rush!!! Permanent Waves is my favorite album.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 01, 2009
11:13 AM EDT
Up on your way hit the open road There's magic at your fingers Where the Spirit ever lingers Undemanding contact in your happy solitude ======== Watching Neil Pert drum is like watching the Linux kernel: minimum overhead to maximum utilization of hardware. ========

> If (most) people have lots of problems with Windows they'd simply WAIT to BUY the next MS Windows...which is always more [insert {MS marketing buzzword} descriptor here] than the previous version of MS Windows.

Which is their entire sales point. Whatever problem your system has now, it will be solved by moving to the next version of Windows.

And for a while, they're right. Then THIS system gets bogged down with virii, adware and other junk, and then answer is .... upgrade to the next version of Windows!
tuxtom

Apr 02, 2009
7:01 AM EDT
Our great computers fill the hallowed halls.
jdixon

Apr 02, 2009
11:38 AM EDT
> Our great computers fill the hallowed halls.

Well, that's from 2112, not Permanent Waves. However, at a quick guess, that's probably Bob's favorite Rush album, so it's apropos.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 02, 2009
1:05 PM EDT
If I could play as well as Neal Peart's left foot, just his left foot and his weak one at that, I would be a happy man..
Bob_Robertson

Apr 02, 2009
1:40 PM EDT
His weak left foot, as opposed to his strong left foot?

But seriously, my "hero" is Ian Anderson, just to be able to pick up nearly any instrument and make music with it...

However, I did have one woman in awe when she asked me to help her tune her harp, and I started doing chords on it having never touched a harp before.
caitlyn

Apr 02, 2009
3:27 PM EDT
@Bob_Robertson: I was a huge fan of Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull for decades. Then I went to an event called "rubbing elbows with Ian Anderson". It was really his concert tour supporting the Rupi's Dance album. The music was excellent but we were subjected to his personal and political views as well. Anderson is a misogynist. The word "sexism" doesn't begin to describe it. He is homophobic. He holds some other views that I won't detail here (TOS and all that) which turned my stomach. Suddenly I had a hard time listening to music I had loved for 30 years or more.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 02, 2009
3:31 PM EDT
Fascinating. Thank you.
ColonelPanik

Apr 02, 2009
3:42 PM EDT
m$ malware makes computers run like Scott going up hill into the wind. This is GOOD, not the Scott part but the part where some poor soul gives up and goes out to buy another computer with newer m$ malware.

Its good 'cause I get the "old" box and re-purpose it to run the latest Linux Distro of my choice!

Scott: We have a twelve step program for you. Twelve steps from the office chair to the recliner!
TxtEdMacs

Apr 02, 2009
4:51 PM EDT
CP,
Quoting:... makes computers run like Scott going up hill nto the wind.
You can fun of Scott, implying he is out of shape, however, carrying a much lighter frame I would die running that hill in the Phoenix heat. That is, I would never make up that hill.

But you watch out when he rolls down the other side, because neither man nor beast could stand in the way of that tide.

YBT
bigg

Apr 02, 2009
4:57 PM EDT
Hills are indeed difficult in the Phoenix heat. I've walked up that big hill by the ASU campus in the spring before it even got hot by their standards. It was the last time I thought, "What's the big deal about walking up a hill?"
tuxtom

Apr 03, 2009
6:18 AM EDT
Quoting:Well, that's from 2112, not Permanent Waves.
JD, of course I know that. It is from Temples of Syrinx. My first introduction to it was from All the World's a Stage, well before Permanent Waves was recorded.

It just seemed relevant for some reason...especially as I am sitting in this huge data center center all by myself with thousands of Linux servers echoing their hum.

Check out this relic I've kept since the 70's:

http://tuxtom.com/photos/rush_buckle.jpg

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!