OLPC Every Child?

Story: Obama to OLPC American Schools with XO-1.5's!!!Total Replies: 14
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Apr 03, 2009
11:29 AM EDT
April Fools????

If it happens, cool. Quote from article: "Now its a whole new day for OLPC and America's educational system. The first day of April, when we can all dream of a new generation of Constructivist children across our great land."

That sounds right.
bigg

Apr 03, 2009
11:33 AM EDT
I'd be hard pressed to think of a less effective way to use education funds, if limited to proposals that anyone would take seriously.

What benefits does the OLPC provide for most US kids? A large percentage already have access to too much technology and internet. The article provides few details or sources.
ColonelPanik

Apr 03, 2009
11:36 AM EDT
bigg: You said THAT? On the worlds leading tech site? Cool, we do come at all this from many different places.
bigg

Apr 03, 2009
11:44 AM EDT
Sorry to be disagreeable, but I really would like to see more details. What are the costs and proposed benefits? What is the reasoning behind the claimed statement?
gus3

Apr 03, 2009
12:00 PM EDT
And since when is "OLPC" a verb?

(insert oblig. Calvin & Hobbs quote here)
tuxchick

Apr 03, 2009
12:19 PM EDT
Ohhhh, so much gullibility.....
TxtEdMacs

Apr 03, 2009
12:27 PM EDT
Folks,

Notice the publication date (and the few lines at the end). Moreover, Obama was not even in the U.S. on that date to deliver the supposed speech.

TC, you nailed it, however, even I would have liked to have believed it to be true. My worry was what OS would be on this gift.

YBT
Sander_Marechal

Apr 03, 2009
12:34 PM EDT
C'mon guys. Atom-powered OLPC's should have been a dead giveaway :-)
bigg

Apr 03, 2009
12:43 PM EDT
So what, now LXer is turning into a regular media outlet? LXer is publishing intentionally false stories on days other than April 1?
gus3

Apr 03, 2009
12:56 PM EDT
No, it just took that long to filter through the news queue.
ColonelPanik

Apr 03, 2009
2:20 PM EDT
And the Colonel's first line was.......?
tuxchick

Apr 03, 2009
3:49 PM EDT
Quoting: And the Colonel's first line was.......?

Not gullible! :D
DrDubious

Apr 03, 2009
3:56 PM EDT
Besides, it'd just be redundant. Most schools ALREADY provide vocational training for Microsoft products, which is what OLPC is all about these days anyway, isn't it?
gus3

Apr 03, 2009
4:01 PM EDT
Are they switching to ARM, or am I confuzzing OLPC with some other netbook?
caitlyn

Apr 03, 2009
4:50 PM EDT
You mean OLPC doesn't mean "One Linux Per Child"? Oh....

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!