You know--- stuff!
tracyanne

Apr 19, 2009
5:23 PM EDT
oh... that stuff
tuxchick

Apr 19, 2009
5:43 PM EDT
After RTFA, I think the article itself is not clear on Mr. Meeks' unhappiness with how Sun manages OO development. (I still think it's dopey to call it OpenOffice.org. It's not a website, it's a piece of software. Geez.) If you really want to understand his criticisms, you'll probably have to look up things he's written himself. All that stuff about spec and QA was confusing.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 19, 2009
8:07 PM EDT
TC, It's called OpenOffice.org because someone else has the trademark to OpenOffice (without the .org). It's a FOSS company from The Netherlands that's older than the office suite. They also make Bluefish, the GTK HTML editor: http://www.openoffice.nl
tuxchick

Apr 19, 2009
9:38 PM EDT
Ok Sander, but it's still stupid. It's not an org, dangit. **shakes cane** It could have been changed to any number of cool names: NotOpenOffice, ProductivitySuite Deluxe, OpenThingy, WideOpenOffice...anything but an org.
tracyanne

Apr 19, 2009
10:25 PM EDT
I suppose they wanted the Open bit, and it is an Office package. Most people are not aware that there is in fact another OpenOffice, and refer to OpenOffice.org as simply OpenOffice.
jezuch

Apr 20, 2009
1:17 AM EDT
OpenBureau? ;)
tracyanne

Apr 20, 2009
2:48 AM EDT
OfficeOpen
jacog

Apr 20, 2009
4:24 AM EDT
Openthingy? That sounds like you might get arrested for having one.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 20, 2009
6:15 AM EDT
FreeOffice! That way we can have nice long threads discussing the merits of free-as-in-freedom-office and free-as-in-beer-office. Yay for page views!
bigg

Apr 20, 2009
7:41 AM EDT
That doesn't make sense. Can I sell Windows.org and Microsoft Office.org from inside my Best Buy.org?
jdixon

Apr 20, 2009
11:54 AM EDT
> It could have been changed to any number of cool names:

Or they could have simply left it named as Star Office, as it was originally. But no, they wanted to use that for their for sale version.
bigg

Apr 20, 2009
11:57 AM EDT
Oracle Office sounds a lot better.
caitlyn

Apr 20, 2009
12:03 PM EDT
@jdixon: The commercial version from Sun, sold with support, is still called Star Office. It supposedly has proprietary bits that are not included in OpenOffice.org.
TxtEdMacs

Apr 20, 2009
12:52 PM EDT
Quoting:Oracle Office sounds a lot better.
Well, even better would be
Quoting:Oracle's Office
where the marketing theme would be
Quoting:Give Larry the Day Off
Remember he is the Star of this show.

YBT
NoDough

Apr 21, 2009
3:48 PM EDT
>> Oracle Office sounds a lot better.

Oraffice?
azerthoth

Apr 21, 2009
3:58 PM EDT
Nodough + Comment == Coffee + Keyboard

+2 for you NoDough
gus3

Apr 21, 2009
6:18 PM EDT
Microsoft already owns Back Oraffice, don't they?

Oh, wait, I got that backwards.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!