A little insight (maybe)

Story: Oracle guru speaks peace, MySQL old-guard cautiousTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
techiem2

Apr 23, 2009
1:38 PM EDT
My boss and I were talking about this a little the other day. His theory is that Oracle is probably doing about the same thing Cisco did when they bought Linksys - breaking into a new market they couldn't otherwise. Acquiring MySQL gives Oracle access to the whole market of businesses that want commercial db support (a la MySQL), but can't afford/don't want to pay for a "high end" system like Oracle DB. At least that's his theory. It makes sense, but I guess we'll see if Oracle has the sense to see it. :)
gus3

Apr 23, 2009
2:10 PM EDT
I don't think your boss understands the function of Freedom w.r.t. Free Software. There was nothing stopping Oracle from building a custom GPL'd setup of MySQL, something for which they could sell support a la Red Hat. They didn't need to buy an entire company.
techiem2

Apr 23, 2009
2:18 PM EDT
He understands quite well.

That said, good point...but then, why build it yourself when you can just buy out someone who already has? *looks at MS* :P

It will be interesting to see what exactly Oracle ends up doing with all the various parts of Sun....
Sander_Marechal

Apr 23, 2009
2:56 PM EDT
@gus: Perhaps Oracle needed to buy the MySQL knowledge it needs to adequately support it?
DarrenR114

Apr 23, 2009
5:04 PM EDT
Oracle probably is looking to expand their stack beyond the software, into the hardware.

MySQL really brings nothing new to the table for Oracle.
herzeleid

Apr 23, 2009
5:29 PM EDT
Quoting:MySQL really brings nothing new to the table for Oracle.
It brings to their table an entire industry built on LAMP servers, to which they had no access before.
gus3

Apr 23, 2009
7:10 PM EDT
With all the kazillion code and execution analysis tools at Oracle's disposal already, they didn't have to buy all of Sun Microsystems to be able to capitalize on a highly-tuned MySQL.

Quoting:why build it yourself when you can just buy out someone who already has?
Except that Sun didn't build it, either. They also bought out someone who already has. And Monty is still kicking himself for giving up custodianship of his "baby."
dinotrac

Apr 23, 2009
9:40 PM EDT
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm------

Did Oracle buy MsSQL or did they buy Sun Microsystems?

Are we letting the tail wag the dog, just because we see Oracle in DB space and MySQL in DB space?
gus3

Apr 23, 2009
10:01 PM EDT
Exactly, dino. That's my point.
dinotrac

Apr 24, 2009
7:36 AM EDT
gus3 -

Just like Microsoft-Novell. Make the whole deal about 1 little part of the whole.
gus3

Apr 24, 2009
8:04 AM EDT
Okay, dino, I'm confused and caffeine-deprived. Could you please explain the parallels? Maybe even some drawing with stick-figures...
dinotrac

Apr 24, 2009
9:00 AM EDT
No parallels between the deals except each had one component that everybody glommed onto.

Oracle buys Sun, which owns MySQL, so Oracle buys MySQL. True as far as it goes, but only one part of a bigger deal.

Ditto for Microsoft-Novell and the patent protection fiasco. Novell had a big deal on the table with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake and Microsoft introduced a "feature" that didn't sound like a deal-breaker. Not a smart move by Novell, unless saying no would have killed the larger deal, but not one they gave a whole lot of attention to.
gus3

Apr 24, 2009
1:56 PM EDT
Okay, that sounds more reasonable than what I thought you were saying.

(don't ask ;-)
dinotrac

Apr 24, 2009
2:30 PM EDT
>(don't ask ;-)

If you thought I was saying, "Clams got legs!', not only were you closer than you think, but Johnny Hart is smiling somewhere in the great beyong.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!