aaah Raid

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
techiem2

Apr 25, 2009
8:05 PM EDT
So I'm continuing my project of sorting out my Pics and getting the RAWs burned to DVDs last night, and my DVD burning decided to lock up burning the disc (twice). When I started poking around the fileserver I realized that one of the disks in my awesome 80GB raid1 was failing (don't you love seeing I/O errors in dmesg?). Eventually I figured out how to fail the disk and remove it from the array so the fileserver was still useful.

Of course, this gave me the motivation needed to order some well-needed upgrades for the fileserver. So now I have a nice Promise 4 port SATA II card and 2 320GB SATA 3Gb disks coming to replace the current 80GB mirror and 40GB stripe arrays of IDEs with a nice 320GB mirror:)

hkwint

Apr 26, 2009
11:46 AM EDT
Good reminder to make a backup, because I don't have any 'spares' in my RAID0.
DiBosco

Apr 27, 2009
8:38 AM EDT
Pah, that's small fish. ;-) My RAID1 server has two 1TB disks and two 500GB. With the 10MB size of Nikon's raw format on my D40x and shed load of TV programs backed up from my Sky+ box that fills up quickly!
techiem2

Apr 28, 2009
12:57 PM EDT
lol. I wish I could afford the big disks, but I'm saving for a MythTV box when ZaReason releases their new one. :) I'm trying to get the 14.7MB each RAWs from my Olympus moved off to DVDs as I find them scattered around my machines and disks. (sadly I lost a bunch of them when the server bombed last time, which is why I made it RAID when I rebuild it)
jdixon

Apr 28, 2009
1:35 PM EDT
> I wish I could afford the big disks,

The last drive I got was a 750GB Seagate SATA2 for $75.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!