The Bittersweet Facts about OLPC and Sugar

Story: The Bittersweet Facts about OLPC and SugarTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Apr 26, 2009
10:59 AM EDT
Here is a great idea, Lets give jillions of nifty little computers to poor kids all over the world and we can tie them into some educational stuff so the lack of resources in their local schools can be minimized. And everyone connected with the project can bring their own huge egos/politics/corporate bottom-line and their favorite word NO into the project and it will still work.

The Colonel wanted to use "Your Ego Sucks To! for the subject of this thread but as there are no egos here it would not be funny.

The article is a "Must Read" and it has a better ending than you might expect.
jdixon

Apr 26, 2009
10:52 PM EDT
> ...but as there are no egos here...

A nice compliment, but unfortunately not true in my case. :( The one thing I can say is that I have a fairly good grasp on my fallibility.
moopst

Apr 27, 2009
2:30 PM EDT
@JD

One of my favorite lines from the movies is Clint Eastwood's quote as Dirty Harry: "A man ought to know his limitations."
Bob_Robertson

Apr 27, 2009
2:45 PM EDT
"Captain, your mouthwash just ain't makin' it."

But my favorite Eastwood quote comes from that otherwise forgettable movie, "Heartbreak Ridge":

"Of course I'm scared. Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane is not a natural act."

"That doesn't mean we're going to take long showers together."
ColonelPanik

Apr 27, 2009
4:42 PM EDT
Everyone! Bob_R needs your help. Please send him (via PM, thanks) your list of fav movies!

In case you don't have any movies you really like, could you just send him some quotes?

OnT: Anyone here using Sugar, er, with your kids of course?
Bob_Robertson

Apr 27, 2009
4:55 PM EDT
> Anyone here using Sugar

As opposed to Stevia?

I think I did the test-drive of Sugar on the OLPC home page a while ago, but that was it. I could see it working for someone without strong reading skills, but otherwise seemed just a little bit too simple.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!