Faster Firefox

Story: Swiftfox - A faster build for Firefox webbrowserTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

May 14, 2009
1:27 PM EDT
Besides Swiftfox (http://getswiftfox.com/), there's also Swiftweasel (http://swiftweasel.tuxfamily.org/). How come I've never heard of these until now? I really need to install one of these immediately ...
caitlyn

May 14, 2009
2:47 PM EDT
If I use Swiftfox with Littlefox do I get a Swift little fox? What about Littlefox with Swiftweasel? What kind of an animal is that?
montezuma

May 14, 2009
2:53 PM EDT
A ferret?
bigg

May 14, 2009
3:11 PM EDT
Swiftfox used to be some kind binary-only, proprietary license, or something along those lines.
caitlyn

May 14, 2009
3:52 PM EDT
Montezuma: You know I have pet ferrets, don't you? Yep, ferrets are fast and little but they aren't related to foxes in any way.
tuxchick

May 14, 2009
3:58 PM EDT
What about weasels?
caitlyn

May 14, 2009
4:00 PM EDT
Ferrets are mustelids, meaning they ARE weasels. Foxes aren't mustelids. To get something that is both weasel and fox you'd have to create it in a lab like Frankenstein.

So... that proves that using Swiftweasel with Littlefox is unnatural! '
TxtEdMacs

May 14, 2009
5:36 PM EDT
Quoting:So... that proves that using Swiftweasel with Littlefox is unnatural!
By your own words you state they are different species, so nothing will result from a singular joyful romp, unless they produce a mule ... not to worry. It's just another dead end.

YBT
hkwint

May 15, 2009
7:44 AM EDT
Yea, laugh at it, but this is serious science.

There are even rules as to how these animals should be named; how a tigon is different from a liger etc. That can lead to strange results.

In my country, when a sheep (schaap) mates a goat (geit), the result is called yawn (gaap), or the other way around sgeit, which phonetically sounds exactly the same as our word for 'shit'.
TxtEdMacs

May 15, 2009
1:49 PM EDT
Quoting:...which phonetically sounds exactly the same as our word for 'shit'.
Oh, my! Stunned I am at such vile, coarse language I am afraid I must insist on Justice for your gross violation of LXer's TOS. A flogging might do, but your occupying the august position of editor requires a more stringent response.

Bring out the guillotine, you will never know how much it pains me that it you, hkw that suffers this verdict and not ken in your stead. I weep for you soul. I must go off and suffer alone bearing this excruciating pain. Dispensing Justice is such a heavy burden, I feel faint coming on I must go. Goodbye dear friend.

As ever, YBT
hkwint

May 15, 2009
6:35 PM EDT
Well, I guess we should call in Bob R, then this thread can be deleted.
Steven_Rosenber

May 15, 2009
9:38 PM EDT
I actually had an on-topic comment somewhere in here, but it disappeared as Firefox 3 crashed on me three times. (I guess FF was trying to get back at me for even suggesting we use these cutdown versions, one of which has an onerous license for its binaries.)
hkwint

May 21, 2009
3:14 PM EDT
Hmm, strange, on another website when I'm in the midst of entering a comment, Firefox remembers it, even if it crashes. But it's an AJAX (or so) site, don't know if that causes the difference.

ed: Just found out it works for LXer as well. These where the steps to reproduce: -Type a few chars in LXer comment, -Let FF crash. I always use "Youtube fullscreen button" as this always works. For me though. -Start FF again, if it complains about the process already running, do 'killall firefox-bin' (on Gentoo, that is). -If Firefox saved your session, the LXer page with your chars in the comment-box is still there.

I wonder what causes it not to work on your computer?
caitlyn

May 21, 2009
3:24 PM EDT
I haven't had many crashes with FF 3.0.9 or 3.0.10. Maybe even none. I have had it lock up and freeze up on me to the point that the only way to close it is kill -9.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!