Why am I not surprised?

Story: Kaspersky finds malware on brand new Windows netbookTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
caitlyn

May 21, 2009
7:00 PM EDT
Despite this finding the article still refers to XP as the "ideal operating system" for netbooks. Hogwash! Once you add anti-malware software and a personal firewall XP will run slower than molasses going uphill in the wintertime with many popular Windows apps. Linux spares you the malware, the need for anti-malware software, and offers much better performance.

Of course, Kapersky is in the business of selling anti-malware software to Windows users. Malware is necessary for their business so, of course, they will keep recommending XP.

Notice they also don't tell you which netbook was infected? Best to assume they all are if they run Windows.
gus3

May 21, 2009
8:37 PM EDT
Windows is the basic infection. The rest are merely opportunistic.
tracyanne

May 21, 2009
9:50 PM EDT
There is nothing to be surprised about, except maybe that it took so long
Steven_Rosenber

May 21, 2009
10:55 PM EDT
At Staples this weekend, I saw a Dell Mini 10 with XP -- looked like hell. Even the screen resolution was wrong. It looked like the Acer Aspire had Vista. At least it had the display configured properly. Nothing with Linux.
caitlyn

May 21, 2009
11:00 PM EDT
AFAIK Staples has never sold Linux boxes. Best Buy did during the holiday season but quickly did away with them after that. Target, OTOH, still has the Eee PC with Linux at the stores near me.
moopst

May 22, 2009
2:15 AM EDT
After reading this

Quoting:"The USB stick they used to install the drivers onto the machine was infected, and [it] then infected the machine," said Schouwenberg.

And this

Quoting:They should transfer that update to the new system and then running a full antivirus scan, the Kaspersky Labs exec said.

I gotta ask "which virus infected USB should I use for the transfer"?
caitlyn

May 22, 2009
7:35 PM EDT
I think it's safest to assume that if it has been on a Windows box it's infected in some way.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!