KDE learned!

Story: KOffice 2.0.0 ReleasedTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
hkwint

May 28, 2009
10:16 AM EDT
While KOffice is officialy not part of KDE; seems they learned:

Quoting:This release is mainly aimed at developers, testers and early adopters. It is not aimed at end users, and we do not recommend Linux distributions to package it as the default office suite yet.

I tried the Beta before in Debian, and seems like they made good progress. I will probably be revisiting 2.0 now it's out of Beta and officially released to do a review or something like that.
Steven_Rosenber

May 28, 2009
2:08 PM EDT
If KOffice can fix the "smart quotes" autocorrection feature (initial quotes on new lines face the wrong direction) in KWord, I'll be pig-in-slop happy. Otherwise, not so much.
hkwint

May 28, 2009
7:18 PM EDT
Yeah, that one really sucks in OOo as well (though the direction there does work) if you don't know your office suite is _doing_ correction. Last week I typed an article in OOo, copy-pasted (using GPM) to LXer, and then all my A HREF links didn't work. Took about two hours to figure out it was because OOo exchanged the double quotes. Next time I'll use Kate or Nano; or better: Another attempt to learn VIM.
Sander_Marechal

May 28, 2009
8:44 PM EDT
Hans, there are two Firefox plugins you may like. One is a plugin to use an external editor (any editor) for textarea fields. The other one is vimperator (it turns Firefox into Vim, with a sparse UI, full keyboard control and scriptability).
tuxchick

May 28, 2009
8:47 PM EDT
Smart quotes must die. Smart apostrophes and smart hyphens, too. They are MS Office abominations that must be nuclear holocausted. Thank you.
jacog

May 29, 2009
3:42 AM EDT
Hear hear!
tuxtom

May 29, 2009
5:26 AM EDT
Quoting:we do not recommend Linux distributions to package it
I wish that same advice would be heeded for KDE4.*. What a waste of my time...enough to push me to Gnome.
jacog

May 29, 2009
6:37 AM EDT
That was the point of the thread, tuxtom.

And I always thought it was fairly clear that KDE4 was not intended for mass consumption.
tuxtom

May 29, 2009
6:53 AM EDT
Quoting:And I always thought it was fairly clear that KDE4 was not intended for mass consumption.
Coulda' fooled Team Kubuntu
jacog

May 29, 2009
7:31 AM EDT
Evidently it did.
tuxchick

May 29, 2009
9:28 AM EDT
Oh lordy, still whining about KDE4. So demand a refund already.
caitlyn

May 29, 2009
9:36 AM EDT
Actually, the one thing I kind of liked about the latest Mandriva was their implementation of KDE 4.2.2. It certainly didn't seem all that bad to me.
gus3

May 29, 2009
11:24 AM EDT
Quoting:So demand a refund already.
I did, and I got it immediately.

See? FOSS really does respond faster to user complaints!
hkwint

May 29, 2009
11:39 AM EDT
Quoting:Hans, there are two Firefox plugins you may like. One is a plugin to use an external editor (any editor) for textarea fields. The other one is vimperator (it turns Firefox into Vim, with a sparse UI, full keyboard control and scriptability).

Thank you very much Sander. I was going to - or wanting to? - learn VIM, but most of my time I spent typing in textarea fields these days. And because I'm currently unemployed, I spend a lot of time typing these days. I hope what I type will be remembered if I kill X with the non-mortal three finger salute; my usual way of halting the computer when I don't use it for an hour or more (followed by the 'shutr' alias in the console). Because sometimes I forgot I typed a nice comment - at least in my opinion - when I halt the computer. I do make some progress however, as of lately I found out that apart from clicking on the X in Windowmaker, there are other ways of halting Linux programs. Like Ctrl+Q. Yeah, Ctrl+Q; what a great invention!
hkwint

May 29, 2009
11:51 AM EDT
Oh, and probably I have to mention that last week I used KDE4 for the first time (first time for longer than two minutes). Actually I was going to use it to install KOffice2, but haven't done so as of yet. I had to check mail not left on the server so I booted back to Gentoo / WindowMaker. I think KDE-PIM is not in KDE4 as of yet, so even if Fedora recognizes my LVM partitions I'm not sure whether I can use Kontact.

I'm glad I never worked with the full KDE3 (use some K-apps though) so KDE4 looks rather good to me. I'm sure if KDE3 would have been worse, there would have been less complaints about KDE4 (the Microsoft approach with Vista and 7?); but that's too late now. I was even rather happy with Dolphin. It almost recognized my LVM partitions!

However, when going to /boot and then to /boot/boot and then to /boot/boot/boot it didn't decide I was giving it an odd task. Like everyone, I was not that happy with the start menu; but on the other hand, automatically adding new programs to the start menu... Phew, what a revelation that was to me! I almost haven't used a start menu with Linux since 2001 I think (never on any Linux I installed myself, that would be). And then the ability to search in the start menu, and automatic remembering what apps and files you used earlier... Well, the Linux users accustomed to this are really spoiled in my opinion.

If you are dissatisfied with KDE4, use WindowMaker 0.94 for two weeks and try again, I suggest.

And I did like the KDE package manager - yum or so I think - but that's probably not really a part of KDE4.
azerthoth

May 29, 2009
1:20 PM EDT
HK you can right click the start button and get the old style menu back, or atleast in Gentoo that functionality is there.

However I'll take your challenge a step further, spend a week without a WM at all. Thats not saying without X just without a WM/DE. 'X :0 -ac & ' where :0 is the number of sessions you have previously started 0,1,2,3 etc. Then 'DISPLAY=:0 appYOUneedXfor & '

There are tweaks you can use, like setting positions or doing it over a network, or whatever. However after using that method for awhile it makes you appreciate something a simple as twm and makes any DE look like sheer magic.

By the way, if any of you play with starting X in that fashion, it completely bypasses your .xinitrc so be forwarned.
herzeleid

May 29, 2009
1:48 PM EDT
Quoting:Coulda' fooled Team Kubuntu
No need to single out kubuntu - even suse, the flagship of kde, drank the coolaid.
bigg

May 29, 2009
2:21 PM EDT
I believe Fedora was the first, and they dropped KDE 3.5 support completely as well.
Sander_Marechal

May 29, 2009
5:05 PM EDT
Quoting:I hope what I type will be remembered if I kill X with the non-mortal three finger salute

Not likely. Firefox runs in X so I imagine the plugins need X as well.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!