Debian and the Eee

Story: DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 305, 1 June 2009Total Replies: 2
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 01, 2009
7:02 PM EDT
I'm glad to see Debian getting out front on the Eee PC and making it easy to install the distro on those (and hopefully other) netbooks. Debian tends to squeeze (pun possibly intended) a bit more performance without having to work at it so much, and that seems like a very good thing for a netbook.

And just knowing that I can roll Debian onto it makes the Eee look a lot more attractive of a purchase.
caitlyn

Jun 01, 2009
7:33 PM EDT
Debian has also been ported to MIPS and is being offered preloaded on at least one MIPS-based netbook now. I agree with you that this is a good move for Debian

Squeezing out extra performance is one of the reasons I like Vector Linux. I was also impressed with Debris Linux and think that it might be a good choice for netbooks.
Steven_Rosenber

Jun 01, 2009
7:37 PM EDT
Those Slackware-derived distros really are quick.

I actually did an Slackware 12.1 install recently (12.2 disc wouldn't boot on feeble Toshiba laptop), and KDE 3 still seemed a bit slow compared with Xfce. Not like that's news, but when you're in the 1 GHZ CPU range, the Xfce speed is much appreciated.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!