Android smartbook from Compal, not Asus(?)

Story: We don't need you either Asus.Total Replies: 14
Author Content
hkwint

Jun 07, 2009
10:39 PM EDT
It's starting to be more confusing, or less; I'm not sure.

Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66fEOh45iDQ

It's a Compal-smartbook they're showing. Might be the next EEE, I don't know. For those who don't know Compal: It's the no. 1 netbook/laptop maker (ODM) in the world. They recently surpassed Quanta, in case you missed that event. It might be someone peeled off the Asus logo of the smartbook after the announced 'problems' with Intel and MS. Obviously Compal doesn't have to be scared for Microsoft, as Compal doesn't sell Windows nor deal with Microsoft.

Problem is, ODM's don't sell netbooks to consumers. OEM's do. ODM's are not afraid of Microsoft, OEM's are. So the main hindrance to Linux on netbooks is OEM's. Such as Dell and HP. Don't believe Mr. Sparenberg and SJVN as they tell you Dell and HP are going to 'take over' the Linux netbook market, because this Compal-device shows Dell and HP are freakin' lame. All they have to do is call Compal and order 1000+ of those netbooks; but I'm pretty sure they don't.
gus3

Jun 07, 2009
11:02 PM EDT
What's "ODM"?
jdixon

Jun 07, 2009
11:05 PM EDT
> What's "ODM"?

Google says Original Design Manufacturer.
hkwint

Jun 07, 2009
11:48 PM EDT
Let me 'explain':

There's Quanta, Wistron and Compal, and together they assemble about 80% of all laptops (and probably netbooks also) worldwide. HP, Dell etc. ask them for computers with certain specs, they deliver. If HP asks tomorrow all laptops should come with VIA Nano instead of Atom - they will have it next week because Compal etc. will do so. If they don't like the design of the case, companies such as Quanta will change it within a week - to have rounder edges for the Western market and such. I have to add Asus was an ODM as well (iBook for example, Google tells) until they decided they could be their own OEM; more profit can be made if you are both.

Nice figure; to have an idea: Compal sales were about $10 billion in 2008 (rough estimate).

HP, Dell etc. then continue to install Windows, write manuals, add nice carton boxes around the laptop, deal with environment-certification if necessary, do branding, marketing, offer product guarantee, offer product support, hotlines, press contacts, prove children didn't make their products, make deals with Microsoft, open mortar and brick stores (Dell not) and offices around the world, ship to Best Buy / Fry's / Dixon / Carrefour / Tesco / Mediamarkt or whatever shop it is on your continent, try not to frustrate Intel, deal with angry customers, goto court if people want a refund for Windows etc. so also employ lawyers, do some lobbying; sprinkle some bonuses to their execs if market share rose, that kind of stuff. 'Reselling & Retail' might be a good word.

However, that's when it comes to laptops; desktops is another story.

Now, when you want to sell laptops using the brand 'gus3' all you have to do is give them specs, specify how your brand should look like, buy 1000, and Compal and Quanta will deliver.

I'm starting to think the 'Linux communities' should start their own OEM and buy directly from Compal.
gus3

Jun 08, 2009
1:05 AM EDT
Ah, thanks.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 08, 2009
3:19 AM EDT
Quoting:I'm starting to think the 'Linux communities' should start their own OEM and buy directly from Compal.

TracyAnne, are you reading this?
tracyanne

Jun 08, 2009
4:10 AM EDT
I am, who wants to invest.
jdixon

Jun 08, 2009
6:40 AM EDT
> I am, who wants to invest.

Private investment or were you planning on going public? I'm assuming private.

What's your minimum requirement, and what would it get you?

If you really want outside investment, especially from overseas, you'll need to have some legal documents specifying all the details drawn up and available for folks to review.

I could probably put up a couple of hundred, but it might take a while.
tracyanne

Jun 08, 2009
8:26 AM EDT
unfortunately it was a throw away line.
hkwint

Jun 08, 2009
9:07 AM EDT
If those things cost $150 and the minimum number of devices you should buy is 1000, you need $150k. That's the problem.

When selling those netbooks to people who are familiar with Linux (targeting experienced Linux users), you probably don't need much marketing beyond spreading the story on the web. You don't need much of a manual and 'support' as those familiar with Linux will arrange some forum somewhere. You don't need to install a lot of software. So basically, by targeting the right people, there's no job for an OEM at all; except someone should deal with broken netbooks.
jdixon

Jun 08, 2009
9:24 AM EDT
> ...unfortunately it was a throw away line.

Understood. Well, if you ever do decide to start, and can take small investors, set up an appropriate website and let people know you're doing it. I think you'd be surprised at what you could raise, especially if you took investments down to the $20 range or so. I don't have the time or the skills to do something like that myself.

> ...you need $150k. That's the problem.

Yep. I could handle $1500 or so to get a small Linux laptop business started, but anything beyond that I can't do.

I've considered using refurbished machines from places like http://www.intechraoutlet.com/home/ but then the shipping costs kill you.
hkwint

Jun 08, 2009
10:52 AM EDT
Crowdsourcing sounds like the solution to me to the $150k problem.

Something like LetsBuyIt. Should look into that.
hkwint

Jun 08, 2009
7:10 PM EDT
Ha, this is nice. Yet another example - this is a MID running on both Android and ARM. In fact it is running on an OMAP 3 from TI; a competitor of the recent Qualcomm products. I'm a bit late finding out about this; you might already know, but let's share it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuI_4LKhAwU
Sander_Marechal

Jun 09, 2009
3:01 AM EDT
tracyanne: Perhaps it would be worthwhile to contact Compal anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if they have some generic white label laptops as well. If they do, you can probably place smaller orders since they wouldn't be building them just for you.
tracyanne

Jun 09, 2009
7:49 AM EDT
You're probably right Sander, I'll give them a hoy and see what they say. In the meantime, I've found Pioneer they are based in Australia, and build laptops from 7" to 17", they call all their laptops Dreambooks, and will preinstall Linux (Ubuntu) and ship them to my customer, if I choose.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!