Unnecessary

Story: Sphinx: Search Outside the BoxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
DarrenR114

Jun 16, 2009
1:18 PM EDT
It would be simpler to convert to PostgreSQL and use the built-in Tsearch that comes standard in PostgreSQL.

FTS (Full Text Search) has been a part of PostgreSQL since 2000.

But leave it to the noobs to believe that they're breaking new ground and searching "outside the box."
herzeleid

Jun 16, 2009
3:22 PM EDT
I can't help but notice how bitter and angry you seem to be over the popularity of mysql...
gus3

Jun 16, 2009
4:34 PM EDT
Similar situation with Compiz vs. Enlightenment.
softwarejanitor

Jun 16, 2009
5:05 PM EDT
I've got nothing in particular against Mysql, but I prefer PostgreSQL in large part because its easier to use it to develop apps that work on the big commercial databases such as Oracle and DB2 because it works more similarly to those in several respects. Unfortunately building apps which work with multiple database backends with minimal changes also generally requires avoiding using very product specific features such as PostgreSQL's full text search.
herzeleid

Jun 16, 2009
7:05 PM EDT
I like both postgres and mysql - each of them can boast successful large scale installations. It all boils down to whatever fits the particular situation best.
hkwint

Jun 16, 2009
7:59 PM EDT
Quoting:I can't help but notice how bitter and angry you seem to be over the popularity of mysql...

Hmm, you haven't fought with Akonadi yet I think? (Might be true as I noticed you switched to Ubuntu)
herzeleid

Jun 16, 2009
9:42 PM EDT
Quoting:Hmm, you haven't fought with Akonadi yet I think? (Might be true as I noticed you switched to Ubuntu)
I must have been spared that for some higher purpose. I was a very happy kde fan for some years with suse, but when opensuse 11.0 came out, I fought with it for a while, tried ubuntu, and decided to make the leap to hardy heron, becoming a gnome user in the process.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 17, 2009
5:53 AM EDT
PostresSQL's TSearch2 doesn't offer all the features that external search engines like Sphinx and Lucene do. Suggestions for misspelled words is one example.

I have also searched for some benchmarks on Google and Lucene always comes out as the best performer on large datasets.

You have to weight your options. Performance+speed for Lucene or easier development for PostgreSQL. And the latter only applies if you are already using PostgreSQL at the back. If you are using a different database or if you want to support multiple databases (as many apps do) then this advantage of TSearch2 goes away entirely.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!