People voluntarily paid for FF

Story: Microsoft Buries $10,000 For People With IE8's User-Agent StringTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
hkwint

Jun 19, 2009
7:44 PM EDT
A while ago, people gave money - even while they didn't have to - to advertize Firefox in the New York times, and there was a much smaller add in my country. The attempt in my country almost failed but the newspaper felt pity so helped out. Nonetheless, people donated their money, and that's why Firefox got attention.

Now, for IE, the users don't voluntarily donate money to Microsoft or some good cause, they hope to receive money.

Does that remember anyone of conficker: Microsoft offered money to fix its failures?
techiem2

Jun 19, 2009
7:53 PM EDT
Well they have to spend that advertising budget SOMEWHERE. Or maybe it's the R&D budget they're spending.....
gus3

Jun 19, 2009
8:10 PM EDT
I'm not a mind-reader, but...

I'm almost willing to bet that most Windows users see Windows as defective, but McAfee/Norton/whatever anti-virus "fixes" it.

Almost.
hkwint

Jun 19, 2009
10:45 PM EDT
Quoting:Or maybe it's the R&D budget they're spending.....

$9 billion in 2009. Includes marketing, but not sure how many of the 9.

Quoting:but McAfee/Norton/whatever anti-virus "fixes" it.

Well, let me think, what did I need for my default install...

-DriverCD's for nVidiaAGP, soundcard, networkcard -LicenseKey viewer / changer, to keep the key updated from Redmond's 'blacklist', -TweakUI to fix annyoances, -RegClean to keep the registry clean, -Washer, to delete all the privacy-infringing stuff Windows leaves, -Windows - and later - TotalCommander, because Win didn't come with a usable file-browser, -AdAware, SpyBot S&D and BDODaemon, -Daemontools to be able to mount iso (standard in Linux!), -Opera - to be able to browse decently and a bit quicker -ZoneAlarm firewall, -Panda antivir, because it was free - meaning I didn't have to crack it, -DevC++, because Windows didn't come with a usable source-editor, -Java, Quicktime, more gore (duh!) -DirectX, because it was never up to date -WinAmp, because it wouldn't play mp3's by default

All of that to make it usable. Pretty lame considering some people pay for Windows.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!