Only problem

Story: Install more then 100 games in one command with DjlTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
tracyanne

Jun 21, 2009
12:41 AM EDT
Way too many games are on line, I hate that. I use to love playing Wolfenstein, it was a great bit of time wasting fun, but Enemy Territory, which is included in this system is on line, and i don't want to play on line, which rules out this game and a lot of other really fun games.
wjl

Jun 21, 2009
11:57 PM EDT
Unfortunately, this is not the only problem, Tracy. If you circumvent something like dpkg and apt (or rpm and yum to be fair), then you're headed for trouble, especially with the not-so-Linux-savy crowd. Sucks like rails.
tracyanne

Jun 22, 2009
4:04 AM EDT
Yeah I can see that as a problem as well, I had assumed, initially, that as these games were installing under the user, not in the system directories that they were independent of the system, but I'm thinking I could be wrong there.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 22, 2009
4:20 AM EDT
@tracyanne, reading the source it seems that Djl does install to a non-system directory.
jacog

Jun 22, 2009
5:12 AM EDT
Well I have always felt that we needed some sort of game manager type thing, but it needs to be more than just a package manager.

It will have to cater for a lot of proprietary games, so install need to be in their own directory, with its own user permissions so we can have control of any nasties they might inflict. ;) Also, the software needs to be a lot sexier than a plain old gtk interface. In fact... peeps who make media centre type apps should integrate such a thing. Boxee games anyone?

We could do for the console gaming industry what non-IBM hardware did for the PC industry.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!