Author Content
azerthoth

Jun 21, 2009
2:38 PM EDT
NT
klhrevolution

Jun 21, 2009
7:34 PM EDT
I found that replacing the pager server with 66.163.181.173 also works!
softwarejanitor

Jun 22, 2009
3:09 PM EDT
FWIW, the same basic fix appears to work in other IM clients as well.
softwarejanitor

Jun 24, 2009
12:30 PM EDT
The fix no longer appears to be working. Looks like Yahoo "upgraded" the rest of their servers, or at least the ones that have been recommended.
flufferbeer

Jun 24, 2009
1:16 PM EDT
From what I see, Yahoo's upgrades are spreading all around its services. Yahoo Mail has undergone some noticeable changes of late. All GeoCities accounts and web sites disconnected with Yahoo's paid Web Hosting are getting closed down. I think its likely that Pidgin's issues are somehow related to notices of Yahoo's closing of GeoCities and also related to various cost-cutting measures at the Yahoo mothership.
krisum

Jun 24, 2009
1:56 PM EDT
The latest pidgin (2.5.7) has been working fine (trivial script to update pidgin for ubuntu users:

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/lsb-release

sudo sh -c "echo deb [http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu] ${DISTRIB_CODENAME} main > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pidgin-dev.list" sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com A1F196A8 sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install pidgin

)

edit: remove the square brackets around the URL above
softwarejanitor

Jun 24, 2009
3:38 PM EDT
Thanks krisum, but I guess I will have to wait until the IM client I use gets updated because I don't use pidgin...
techiem2

Jun 24, 2009
7:15 PM EDT
Bitlbee doesn't seem to be broken. Although when it logs into yahoo it's telling me that my client version will expire on August 15th, so I guess a protocol update will be needed sometime soon.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!