It's really great that commercial games companies

Story: Mahjong Zodiac for Linux ReleasedTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
tracyanne

Jun 23, 2009
5:20 PM EDT
are begining to support Linux. But.....

I downloaded Mahjong Zodiac, and had a bit of a play with it. and it strikes me that the real differences between a Free Software version of Mahjong and a commercial version are, the Free Software version you can start playing immediately, gameplay is fast and responsive, the board is spartan and functional.

Whereas the Commercial version requires you navigate through several layers of gaudy graphics often accompanied by unreadable messages in fonts that look like they were designed by a child, and game play is slow and not very responsive, and one is expected to pay for that.

Seriously the spartan game boards, with fast response play of the Free, and no cost, Software games are worth way more than the commercial games... with one exception World of Goo.

In the case of repackaged games like Mahjong, the only thing that differentiates one commercial version from the other is the time spent "creating" gaudy graphics. The value inherent in the Free Software versions leaves them for dead.

The take home from this Free Software gamers, wrap your games in gaudy graphics and sell that version, there's obviously money to be made from unresponsive games wrapped in useless bling.
caitlyn

Jun 23, 2009
5:25 PM EDT
Or not... We don't know that they will be able to successfully sell this.
tracyanne

Jun 23, 2009
6:18 PM EDT
I doubt it caitlyn. The versions of mahjong that come with Linux have much better gameplay. Personally they would have to pay me to play Mahjong Zodiac in it's current form.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!