Location aware srvices on FF 3.5

Story: What's new in Firefox 3.5Total Replies: 7
Author Content
tracyanne

Jun 30, 2009
5:11 PM EDT
Quoting:Now, you may ask why you'd want to allow your browser to let a web site know where you are. The Location-Aware Browsing feature will provide users with location specific information that relates to their local area, which can be helpful for online mapping applications or searching for nearby businesses, such as a local grocery store or movie theatre........

Interesting, my ISPs server is in Brisbane, about 400 KM away from where I live, so Geolocation based on my IP address will put me somewhere in the middle of Brisbane, meaning searches for the nearest Grocery store will recommend a 4 to 5 hour drive, for that bottle of milk, nice.
gus3

Jun 30, 2009
5:18 PM EDT
Going through a cell phone can also have you located in three different states in one day, while you live in a fourth.
tracyanne

Jun 30, 2009
5:29 PM EDT
But but but... gus on TV they can locate you to within a few meters of your nearest terrorist hideout by triangulating on your mobile phone, and take high quality photos of you leaving from someone else's phone a mile up the street. Gosh darn it, another belief destroyed forever.
jdixon

Jun 30, 2009
5:36 PM EDT
> Gosh darn it, another belief destroyed forever.

Give them time Tracyanne, give them time. :(
moopst

Jun 30, 2009
6:33 PM EDT
I managed to locate the ip address my infected Win98 system was communicating with to Fujan Provence, China. Google showed a big government looking building there, so I decided it wasn't worth it to complain.
gus3

Jun 30, 2009
7:11 PM EDT
@tracyanne:

Put some friction tape or gaffer's tape over the phone's camera lens, then soak the phone in acetone for at least 15 minutes. They won't be able to track you through your phone after that.
tracyanne

Jun 30, 2009
9:15 PM EDT
@gus, I think I'll just turn it off.
gus3

Jun 30, 2009
9:22 PM EDT
Haven't you heard that they can turn it on from the tower?

At least that's what one of the yokels here said two weeks ago. But now that it's on teh Intarwebs, it must be true, right?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!