Excellent article...

Story: London Stock Exchange to abandon failed Windows platformTotal Replies: 28
Author Content
softwarejanitor

Jul 02, 2009
7:56 PM EDT
One of the best I've read by SJVN yet...
TxtEdMacs

Jul 02, 2009
8:50 PM EDT
Did you notice the comments? FUD, misinformation, ignorant, uninformed and uneducated. Who knew SJVN was such a phony? Anyway there was unanimous agreement MS only sold a quality product where it was the deficiency of the personnel assigned to the project internally and the Enterprise Business Partner were entirely to blame for this fiasco NOT MS! There your mind is cleared of the lies and misstatements meant only to confuse and befuddle the naive.

Let it be clearly stated, SJVN helps hide all the U[nix} and L[inux] failures while pretending to show the world Windows fails disastrously when it does NOT!

So don't bother reading this propagandistic tripe, nothing there. In a few months hence the London Stock Exchange will have the best transaction system running on Windows. I personally guarantee it!

[invisible]Now you cheap bastards SEND ME MY CHECKs!!!!! I am not going to shill forever for no cash. What do you think I am? A GPL developer?[/invisible]

Your Buddy Txt.
gus3

Jul 02, 2009
8:59 PM EDT
@TEM:

Careful, there. You're sounding dangerously like "justintime" on the "sliver, plank" thread.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 02, 2009
10:08 PM EDT
gus[n],

To all you guys* {[Greek Sigma] over i from 0 to n}

My voice is unique and I will sing any tune you please for cold, hard cash. Therefore, I cannot be confused with any other idividual whether real or bot.

[Leave justistime alone, some of his early posts showed a balanced perspective when he said neither he nor the person he was pounding on could know for certain the number for or against Mono**. Moreover, he is NOT a cut and paste astroturfer. The possibility still exists, s/he just has too partisan a view***. Me until I get paid to lie I will just read. Any takers, I am available!]

YBT

* Got you covered?

** It's a damn disease, my kids are inoculated against it. Who wants it? I had it once in graduate school, I could have missed it entirely without regret.

*** If you are a subscriber of lwn.net check out this review of the Mono flame fest: http://lwn.net/Articles/338576/ If not Scott will flag it in a couple of weeks when it is opened.
tuxchick

Jul 02, 2009
10:18 PM EDT
Yes, your voice is unique :)
hkwint

Jul 02, 2009
10:33 PM EDT
Quoting:Did you notice the comments? FUD, misinformation, ignorant, uninformed and uneducated.

Written by TracyAnne, huh? Who'd have thouht!

Now, all that concerns me - apart from all this FUD and crud, is why the LSE-story seems to have disappeared from the "Highly Reliable Times". After all, the highly reliable times runs on MS-SQL 2000, WinServer 2003 and .NET, so it can't be that the story is not available, can it?

Hmm, wait. Txt, let's point everybody at the real facts. http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?... There it is! Shame on computerworld. Shouldn't read it, folks. Go with Get the Facts! Blèèèèhh! (That's Dutch for the sound sheep make).

Quoting:If you are a subscriber of lwn.net check out this review of the Mono flame fest:

Bummer, those filthy communist are keeping their newest flamefast proprietary without sharing it for free with the rest of the world? What happened to the - "free as in 'everybody who doesn't know &^#! about the issue* - may flame fests? Oh, they were moved to LXer? Hmm, why didn't anyone tell me?

*Clearly referring to myself here, of course, or do you think I was hinting at you, yes you, behind the screen! Well, I wasn't.
hkwint

Jul 02, 2009
10:48 PM EDT
Thank god, someone was so bright to make a backup. Will be on LXer soon ;) (if the ed's approve it).
gus3

Jul 02, 2009
10:49 PM EDT
Quoting:Yes, your voice is unique :)
TC, your comment reminds me of Douglas Adams' description of the Pangalactic Gargleblaster: "a slice of lemon wrapped around a large, gold brick."
Sander_Marechal

Jul 03, 2009
1:44 AM EDT
Reminds me of "Yes, you're unique. And so is everybody else". :-)
tracyanne

Jul 03, 2009
1:52 AM EDT
Quoting:Written by TracyAnne, huh? Who'd have thouht!

Busted.
tracyanne

Jul 03, 2009
2:22 AM EDT
i've just added some more FUD, misinformation, and ignorant, uninformed and uneducated comment. That should stir up the pidgeons when the comestic feline is discovered.
tracyanne

Jul 03, 2009
2:59 AM EDT
This in a comment from a responder is interesting, especially given so many are claiming Microsoft was not involved.

Quoting:(I found the study http://switch.atdmt.com/action/FY07_Linux_LSE_Download on MS's own site.) http://www.microsoft.com/uk/getthefacts/lse.mspx

to wit; page 4:

"In the development, roll-out, and implementation processes, Microsoft worked closely with the London Stock Exchange to ensure not only that they understood their immediate requirements, but that the solution fitted their long-term business plans as specified in the TRM project."

"Robin Paine, Chief Technical Officer at the Exchange, says: “The London Stock Exchange was looking for a responsive partner to engage across all phases of the Technology Roadmap programme. The collaborative approach Microsoft offered made it an ideal choice."
gus3

Jul 03, 2009
11:41 AM EDT
Quoting:"Yes, you're unique. And so is everybody else". :-)
I'm not!
TxtEdMacs

Jul 03, 2009
12:39 PM EDT
gus[n],

Quoting:Quoted: "Yes, you're unique. And so is everybody else". :-)

I'm not!
Yes, you are right. You are but one of a series. However, you are self aware. Singularity has happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YBT
azerthoth

Jul 03, 2009
1:17 PM EDT
Thats not nice calling someone a black hole, much better to just say .. you suck!!!

/humor
moopst

Jul 03, 2009
1:51 PM EDT
I think Txt is talking about this singularity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

It happened to me last week but I forgot about it.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 03, 2009
2:49 PM EDT
az,

Just FYI, I was not speaking of a cosmological singularity (not even a naked one, so far unobserved, but discussed in a recent issue of Scientific American). The singularity I had in mind was when machine intelligence becomes self aware and smites all humans.

I eagerly await that day.

So gus, is it time I stop picking on you? Tell me how I can have fun with az, by private message only, please.

YBT PS moopst, why didn't you tell me?
moopst

Jul 03, 2009
4:28 PM EDT
@Txt:

I was riding my motorcycle in the mountains west of Denver outside of cell phone coverage.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 03, 2009
4:44 PM EDT
moopst,

You are forgiven, but only this one time. Get a satellite phone and stay connected. Any other news you are holding back on? You know forgetting is a very unalien like, have you lost track of our robots too?

YBT

PS What's a motorcycle?
helios

Jul 06, 2009
10:13 AM EDT
PS What's a motorcycle?

It's that thing your wife demands you sell or she will divorce you then divorces you anyway three years later.

h
jacog

Jul 06, 2009
10:54 AM EDT
Real geeks ride lightcycles.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 06, 2009
1:08 PM EDT
helios,

Quoting: ... wife demands you sell or she will divorce you then divorces you anyway ...
Well at least you now know it was NOT the motorcycle's fault. But that still leaves me adrift. What is it, a person, a thing or a concept humans use to describe their view of reality?

Now also, what's a wife?

YBT
hkwint

Jul 06, 2009
1:14 PM EDT
And I thought Singularity was a MS project to 'clone' Inferno/Plan9?

Of course, it was also one of the TI-83 errors I tried to 'collect'; which meant writing such BASIC programs that you could choose which error you wanted to create. It was one of the hardest errors to generate, I remember.

And no you're telling me there's more singularity in this world? Then why didn't they just call it plurality instead?
gus3

Jul 06, 2009
2:16 PM EDT
There are still singularities in the world. They sit in their parents' basements, posting anti-Linux FUD.
tracyanne

Jul 06, 2009
5:15 PM EDT
@TxtEdMacs a Motorcycle is an orgasm on wheels. And before you ask, and orgasm, It's something we earthers don't share with Aliens.
jdixon

Jul 06, 2009
9:27 PM EDT
? It's that thing your wife demands you sell or she will divorce you then divorces you anyway three years later.

See, you all marry the wrong people. My wife has offered to buy me a motorcylce serveral times over the past few years. :)

I've had to refuse, as I can't justify the cost for the little time I'd have to ride it.
gus3

Jul 06, 2009
10:50 PM EDT
@jdixon:

You may still find benefit from it, even after figuring in the overhead cost. Remember, not all benefits are monetary. That's one of the principles behind FOSS.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 06, 2009
10:54 PM EDT
TA,
Quoting: ... orgasm, It's something we earthers don't share with Aliens
Don't worry we have plenty of those. After a Big One soon the spuds break through the ground, they are so cute they are beyond words and this stage. However, too soon they learn to use their flappers and they fly around like demons from the lower reaches. I can tell you of my fear and hurt when these little buggers bite deep and hit metal shorting out all systems , due to their incisors being conductors. Without a heavy boot in the proper location the adults could be wiped out, by a too successful Orgamimy*. This happens when the population spikes too sharply and there are no adult survivors to render the boot and our line perishes. Then these buggers are never civilized and they too run their wild cycle to an early demise. Sad but it happens many times.

We too cannot share our organisms with earthly types, you could not survive the experience, since your kind is so fragile we will not inflict that ecstasy upon you. Mostly we mean you no harm.

Stay well and grow fat, we are getting hungry.

YBT

* OUr word for spectacular, multiple orgasmic climaxes.
jdixon

Jul 06, 2009
11:04 PM EDT
> You may still find benefit from it, even after figuring in the overhead cost. Remember, not all benefits are monetary.

I used to ride a motorcycle, which is how my wife knows I would like one. But there's just too little time for riding here, between work and the weather. :(

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!