MS-CP oddity

Story: Microsoft to issue "Community Promise" for C# and CLITotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Jul 07, 2009
12:39 PM EDT
This part still raises my hairs:

Quoting:Q: What if I don’t implement the entire specification? Will I still get the protections under the CP?

A: The CP applies only if the implementation conforms fully to required portions of the specification. Partial implementations are not covered.

I'm no lawyer so I refrain from commenting until a lawyer reviews that, but I wonder how that would work with GPLv3 section 11.
dinotrac

Jul 07, 2009
3:00 PM EDT
I don't see how it can conform to GPLV3, as the failure to cover partial implementations imposes a significant restriction on the rights of recipients to modify the code.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 07, 2009
3:32 PM EDT
Yes, but GPLv3 section 11 also mentions several things that apply only to the patent holder or controller. A 3rd party use creating GPLv3 code does not control the patent in this case.

I assume that someone with FSF is looking at it as we're speaking and that comments and analysis will shortly follow. I'll wait for readable version of all that legalese before I make up my mind.
azerthoth

Jul 07, 2009
8:20 PM EDT
Why are we looking for GPL compatibility on a license that isnt even on the OSI's license list?

p.s. GPL compatibility does not an open source license make, or rather lack of said compatibility does not mean that a license isnt an open source license. In this case however, it's a completely moot point.

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical
Sander_Marechal

Jul 08, 2009
4:39 AM EDT
Quoting:Why are we looking for GPL compatibility on a license that isnt even on the OSI's license list?

Because the MS-CP isn't a source code license so it will never show up on the OSI list. IMB's patent promise isn't on OSI either. Neither is the OIN promise.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!