Love my baby Dell, don't much like the Ubuntu that came with

Story: Netbooks Are Little Notebooks, and Linux on Netbooks RocksTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
dinotrac

Jul 07, 2009
10:36 PM EDT
it.

One of these days, I'll find the time to improve on that, but, in the meantime, the little thing hooks into wireless networks, prints through my printer, does OpenOffice, Firefox, Hulu, and -- most important (I got kids) -- Tux Racer.

Cool cool beans.
rijelkentaurus

Jul 07, 2009
10:46 PM EDT
If I ever get a netbook, I'm sure it will be Dell, even if I get a Windows machine and blow it away. I have a Vostro and it has run every Linux distro I have thrown at it flawlessly, right down to the multimedia keys working. There is a lot to be said for buying Dell. Even as they deal with their Ubuntu machines with carefully gloved hands (by some accounts), their hardware works great with the Penguin and it's easy to find a great machine to run it on. Others complain about their non-Dell hardware not working quite right with Distro X, Y, Z (including me on my wife's laptop, a Toshiba), but I just install whatever I feel like on the Vostro and move on with my work.
jdixon

Jul 08, 2009
9:24 AM EDT
> ...even if I get a Windows machine and blow it away.

If you can get a Linux preloaded one, it's probably worth the extra effort to do so, if it's cost effective.
rijelkentaurus

Jul 08, 2009
10:08 AM EDT
@jdixon, very much agreed.
dinotrac

Jul 08, 2009
10:25 AM EDT
j & r:

Yes. You have the absolute assurance of knowing that everything will work fine -- even if you don't like the pre-loaded distro.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 08, 2009
10:40 AM EDT
Don't forget that with Dell, even if there are no Ubuntu laptops or Desktops on their site in your country, you can often order them by phone. That's what a consumer watchdog organisation found here in The Netherlands.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!