The Linux advantage

Story: Netbooks Are Little Notebooks, and Linux on Netbooks RocksTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 07, 2009
11:45 PM EDT
This is what really kills me about Linux preloads, be they from Dell, HP or (fill in the blank). I'm not sure even the dedicated Linux-installing companies do this right:

With a Linux DISTRIBUTION, you get an extremely full complement of applications that you can install, remove, tweak or not -- but you don't have to resort to stealing an OS and the applications to go with it. Or worse: pay inflated prices for an OS and the applications to go with it.

Does Dell even mention that? When they're so busy warning the unwashed that a particular PC running, let's say, Ubuntu, doesn't come with the Windows OS everybody knows and presumably "loves," do they ever expend a few characters on what you get with a Linux distro that you will never get in the proprietary-OS world?

Or is the Ubuntu thing just a way to mollify the choir of forum-posting Linux geeks who already know what a distro is?
bigg

Jul 08, 2009
7:23 AM EDT
I think Dell is selling to those who know Linux. That's fine by me. The problem with promoting the apps that come with Linux is that Windows users, who are human beings, will demand that Dell provide support for those apps. "I bought this stupid machine because you said it will do word processing, and it doesn't."
hkwint

Jul 08, 2009
7:28 AM EDT
Quoting:The problem with promoting the apps that come with Linux is that Windows users, who are human beings, will demand that Dell provide support for those apps.

Do they demand from Dell support if their Dell is struck by a virus? - is what I'm wondering.
jacog

Jul 08, 2009
7:34 AM EDT
Ok, education time for me.

What does "support" mean? Ok... I know what it means... but... what does it mean?? What do people who make their purchasing decisions based on available support expect it to mean?
bigg

Jul 08, 2009
8:55 AM EDT
> What does "support" mean?

If you sell Ubuntu + OOo, that means the user expects you to tell him/her how to format the document, read MS Office documents, etc. If you sell someone anything, they will expect you to explain how it works.

> Do they demand from Dell support if their Dell is struck by a virus? - is what I'm wondering.

Yes, in fact they do, based on complaints from friends who have worked tech support for a large OEM. One of the most difficult parts of the job was explaining to those who were new to computers that we sold you the software, but we won't tell you how it works.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!