Poor reporting and other topics pertinent to this item

Story: Introducing the Google Chrome [Linux - ed.] OS Total Replies: 16
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Jul 08, 2009
9:58 AM EDT
[disclaimer: all serious]

So far the AP tech reporter is as bad as the lamented unprofessional types that are cited repeatedly as being purposely ignorant or paid shills. When someone supposedly covering the technical beat can assert that open source options have not affected MS hold on browser usage*, then they fall within the afore mentioned categories.

See: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/07/08/technology/AP-US-...

It seems too that the NYT has its own take, that I have not yet read, though it seems to begin in an eerily similar fashion as the AP article. For those having an interest: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/technology/companies/08ope...

Why am I citing these and not discussing the official word, if that's what it is? Well press releases are designed to mislead and hedge or to be blatant overstatements giving promises to a new era that never appears. Good journalism should provide perspective and be skeptical of all claims by parties having vested interests.

YBT

* IE had a ninety plus percentage usage a few years ago, now it as seventy percent or less. There is tacit agreement that Firefox holds around twenty percent or more (on average) and now the Apple option is approaching ten percent. This is quiet a remarkable change is usage, considering many users have no choice of either the browser they use or the OS it sits upon.
hkwint

Jul 08, 2009
11:17 AM EDT
Quoting:Good journalism should provide perspective and be skeptical of all claims by parties having vested interests.

Go ahead an come up with something decent. As always, LXer will be happy to publish!
TxtEdMacs

Jul 08, 2009
11:18 AM EDT
Here is another link that seems promising http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/08/would-you-miss-wind... , i.e. the predicted pricing difference and its appearance in the NYT could spark interest and attention well beyond MS's worst fears. Here's hoping.

Oh, yes the original NYT link above was not as bad as I feared, but again not having read this item fully I have higher hopes for the new link than the former.
hkwint

Jul 08, 2009
11:27 AM EDT
Now look if Washington Post will cover this too. If not, well, we know why.

ed: Sorry, I'm behind. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124702911173210237.html Melinda can't stop this, huh?
TxtEdMacs

Jul 08, 2009
11:32 AM EDT
Quoting: ... if Washington Post will cover this too. If not, well, we know why.
Why? Does the Washington Post own MS stock (meaning principle owners) or does MS own the Washington Post?

YBT

[No Tag label needed]
Bob_Robertson

Jul 08, 2009
11:42 AM EDT
The Google news search for "chrome OS" has a remarkable number of articles.

Almost like this is news.

The leverage of Google to get it pre-installed on OEM systems? Now THAT, to me, is news!
tuxchick

Jul 08, 2009
11:47 AM EDT
It's just an announcement that they're launching the Chrome OS project. I fear the resulting hysteria when this new OS is actually released :)
hkwint

Jul 08, 2009
12:28 PM EDT
Quoting:or does MS own the Washington Post?

Melinda Gates was / is (?) in their board of directors. Note I added to my post above that I was too late.
hkwint

Jul 08, 2009
12:31 PM EDT
Quoting:I fear the resulting hysteria when this new OS is actually released :)

Don't worry, the hysteryia will be just hobbyist, won't be big and professional like the Mono-hysteria.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 08, 2009
12:34 PM EDT
Just got back to start reading the second NYT link, and the first line leaves me cold:
Quoting:A year and half from now, you may see a new choice in the computer aisle of your local electronics store ...
From what I have read Google is predicting the appearance of these devices the second half of 2010 and we are now in the second half of 2009. Perhaps they have inside information and they know already the project is lagging, however, for their text to be valid we would be looking at these machines about New Years Eve or after. Add the implicit skepticism in the quote and one would have to conclude that Google is on a suicide mission. To not deliver with a quality product and on schedule would have the vultures circling.

Contrast this with the Bloomberg report that shows the ground work has been laid with some OEMs on board to produce a product (this is not the usual Google Beta forever) results in my having a negative response to the writer of this piece. Perhaps this is the skepticism I desire in all reporting, if so upon completion of reading the piece I will stand corrected, however, I would prefer not to see it in the first line and would rather learn what chinks the observer detects in the bulk of the article.

Yes Google could bork the project, meaning its performance and schedule both under deliver, but this is too big a risk not to have their best efforts. That is, it [Google] too could produce a Millennium or Vista, but we will have to await its release to judge. However, I suspect that is MS's feverent hope not the likely outcome.

YBT
Bob_Robertson

Jul 08, 2009
1:45 PM EDT
> Don't worry, the hysteryia will be just hobbyist, won't be big and professional like the Mono-hysteria.

I'm rather disgusted that the issue of anti-trust is already coming up in several Chrome OS articles I've read today.

That's an hysteria we can do without.

At least let's see the product first!
herzeleid

Jul 08, 2009
2:04 PM EDT
Quoting:Don't worry, the hysteryia will be just hobbyist, won't be big and professional like the Mono-hysteria.
Haha, appreciate the clever reference to linux from 1991
r_a_trip

Jul 09, 2009
5:37 AM EDT
I fear the resulting hysteria when this new OS is actually released :)

I fear the coming hysteria when the unwashed masses discover that the Google cloud wasn't such a bright idea...

The information is sketchy, but I get the feeling Chrome OS is just a thin client for Google's web services and cloud applications.

Imagine the horror when people begin to see Google as a problem instead of a solution and they have between 1 to 3 Terabytes of personal data on the Google cloud.

Even if Google plays nice and uses only open formats for the storage of files, retrieving and storing those personal files locally is going to be painful. People will be forced to acquire regular computing equipment and ample storage to get their data out of the clutches of the Google cloud.

I'm not saying Google has nefarious intentions with Chrome OS, but Google is a corporation. Corporations have only one overriding concern and that is profit, all else is secondary. Trusting your own data to a third party, who's intent is storing that data to extract money from it, is asking for trouble.
jacog

Jul 09, 2009
8:14 AM EDT
And this is how a company gets corrupted.

They are trying to gain dominance in all kinds of areas, just like Microsoft. They will get bigger and fatter until it's impossible to keep on top with everything. Then one day, they will get yelled at by angry shareholders when their stock value drops by just one percent, and then another percent. Then they have a rush board meeting to plan on how to get the two percent back. The result will be, "Where can we leverage our market monopolies to make more money?"

While they draw up their plans to snooker the masses, they will have their marketing department release a brand new "Do no evil" campaign.

Nefarious intentions? Probably not... but it could lead to it.

A Google OS? I horripilate.
gus3

Jul 09, 2009
8:55 AM EDT
Google's "Don't be evil" slogan got deleted when they made their deal with the mainland Chinese gov't.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 09, 2009
11:23 AM EDT
Quoting: ... "Don't be evil" slogan got deleted when they made their deal with the mainland Chinese gov't.
And more recently when a certain class of employees begun to be treated more shabbily than previously. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/05/business/05nocera.html
tracyanne

Jul 09, 2009
5:33 PM EDT
Yep they are just another compnay, to be trusted as much, or as little, as any other large Corporation. But then, as far as I was concerned that was always the case.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!