Author Content
devnet

Jul 09, 2009
3:14 PM EDT
no.
SamShazaam

Jul 09, 2009
3:29 PM EDT
Google never forced me to buy their product before using my computer.
herzeleid

Jul 09, 2009
5:33 PM EDT
Google never tried to force me to run windoze... so no.
moopst

Jul 09, 2009
5:40 PM EDT
Yea but Google did do a one flippen year pre-announce which is rather Microsoftian. Where will they get their distro? UNR with all the logo's stripped off - like Oracle Unfakeable vs. RHEL?
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 09, 2009
6:30 PM EDT
Disclaimer: I've spilled a lot of ink and bits over this ... and it pretty much is nothing but vaporware. I read the Google blog post about how computers should run fast, just work ... but right now they've got nothing.

The reason I still think all the hoopla is justified is that Linux distros -- including Ubuntu, Suse, Fedora and Red Hat -- have not exactly been real competitors out there in the greater, non-geek world.

What Google is trying to do is roll out an OS, one that just happens to be based on Linux because that's the easiest/best way to do it, that it hopes will truly challenge what continues to be pretty much a Microsoft minority on desktop operating systems.

As much as we all write, post, cajole and evangelize on this stuff, Google has the potential to really shake things up if this project actually produces something good ...
theboomboomcars

Jul 10, 2009
9:30 AM EDT
The ChromeOS netbooks will probably be the first actual netbooks. Since the only thing you'll be able to do is the net on them. Perhaps we should call them cloudbooks.

I wonder if they will have local storage bigger than what is necessary for the OS.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 10, 2009
10:27 AM EDT
Cloudbook, nice find. You should trademark it :-)
rijelkentaurus

Jul 10, 2009
12:11 PM EDT
Isn't there already a cloudbook?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CloudBook
theboomboomcars

Jul 10, 2009
2:19 PM EDT
I knew it sounded familiar.

hkwint

Jul 11, 2009
2:55 PM EDT
WT#, Wiki doesn't function today?
gus3

Jul 11, 2009
5:27 PM EDT
Non-Linux netbooks could be called "cluebooks". As in, "get a clue, it can be a PC without Windows!"
Sander_Marechal

Jul 11, 2009
6:59 PM EDT
@hkwint: Seems to be fixed now.
tracyanne

Jul 11, 2009
7:25 PM EDT
on the other hand gus, Netbook doesn't really describe the capabilities of one of those machines running Linux, while it actually does describe all that you can realistically use it for when running Windows.

Conversation the other day with Windows cheerleader.

Cheerleader "I'm going to the Microsoft conference at the Gold Coast this year, they are giving away Netbooks with Windows 7 pre installed on them. I wouldn't mind having something like that to do a bit of Web surfing or emailing while on the move, it would be just perfect for that."

Me "Yeah those little Netbooks are really great, you can carry them anywhere , I love mine. I take it with me in preference to the laptop these days."

Cheerleader "only problem with them is they are quite underpowered, so you are a bit limited in what you can do with them"

Me "I use mine for photo processing, I just hook up the camera to it and dump the images to it and process the photos at while I'm there.

Cheerleader, suddenly realising that of course I use Linux, changes subject.

Me, just to rub it in. "Yeah I just fire up the GIMP, and do what I need to do, it's really great, I love my little Netbook.."

Netbook doesn't really describe the capabilities of the machine when they are running Linux.

gus3

Jul 11, 2009
7:32 PM EDT
So, "cluebook" it is, for me.
tracyanne

Jul 11, 2009
8:49 PM EDT
I've discovered that with some Image viewing applications you can use the mouse pad the same way you use the touch screen on a touch screen enabled device.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 11, 2009
11:42 PM EDT
Since it's so small, how about calling it the "handbook." Is that one taken?
softwarejanitor

Jul 13, 2009
11:35 AM EDT
@tracyanne Someone was complaining to me that their netbook was too slow. I asked them which version of Linux they were running on it. They just looked at me funny and said "it came with Windows XP". I said "well, there is your problem -- Ubuntu works great on my Aspire One". They also changed the subject.
tracyanne

Jul 13, 2009
5:21 PM EDT
@softwarejanitor I take it yu don't know them well enough to do a comparison. And the sad thing is Windows not only runs really slow, but it doen't come with any useful applications, unless you consider the barebones of IE and outlook express to be the be all and end all of usefull applications. But then again, as we are constantly told by Microsoft, Windows on a net book is jut there so you can surf the net and send receive emails, so maybe on Windows they are the be all and end all.

softwarejanitor

Jul 13, 2009
8:30 PM EDT
@tracyanne No, I don't know them that well, and they were very unreceptive to hearing about anything non-MS.
jdixon

Jul 13, 2009
9:16 PM EDT
> And the sad thing is Windows not only runs really slow, but it doen't come with any useful applications,

I must register a protest on behalf of Notepad, Minesweeper, and Solitaire. :)
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 14, 2009
2:45 PM EDT
"Microbook"
caitlyn

Jul 14, 2009
2:59 PM EDT
Quoting:"Microbook"

That sounds too much like a Microsoft product to me.

Itty bitty laptop.
NoDough

Jul 14, 2009
3:05 PM EDT
>> That sounds too much like a Microsoft product to me.

Netcrook?
gus3

Jul 14, 2009
3:30 PM EDT
"Notbook". As in, how much can you not do with it?
techiem2

Jul 14, 2009
3:32 PM EDT
Necrobook for ones preloaded with Windows
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 14, 2009
6:32 PM EDT
"Little Black Book"

Maybe the Fonz could endorse it ...
tuxchick

Jul 14, 2009
7:00 PM EDT
Necrobook. **snork**. +1
devnet

Jul 14, 2009
8:22 PM EDT
netbook !=dekstop/laptop

Until it does...google isn't doing anything to Microsoft unless it has to do with search or ads.
gus3

Jul 14, 2009
8:35 PM EDT
@Steven:

"Little black book" anymore is something the National Enquirer wants to buy from Ashley Dupre and her colleagues.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!