Hmmm... seems that not enough research here

Story: 2009's 10 Worst Linux DistributionsTotal Replies: 33
Author Content
vainrveenr

Jul 13, 2009
2:22 AM EDT
Hess obviously spent less time (if any) going through distrowatch, http://distrowatch.org From the piece itself:
Quoting:9. Super-specialized Distributions .... Keep those kinds of distros in academia where practicality isn't important. The throwaways in this category include GeeXBoX, LinuxConsole and Zenwalk.
Actually, Zenwalk ranks now as the 19th most popular over the last six months. From its distrowatch summary at http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zenwalk
Quoting:Zenwalk Linux (formerly Minislack) is a Slackware-based GNU/Linux operating system with a goal of being slim and fast by using only one application per task and with focus on graphical desktop and multimedia usage. Zenwalk features the latest Linux technology along with a complete programming environment and libraries to provide an ideal platform for application programmers. Zenwalk's modular approach also provides a simple way to convert Zenwalk Linux into a finely-tuned modern server (e.g. LAMP, messaging, file sharing).
One of "those kinds of distros in academia where practicality isn't important" now, is that right !!!???

But not enough for Hess. Further on in the piece:
Quoting:6. Create Your Own Distribution Distributions - Maybe it's just me but I've never successfully created my own distribution with any of these. Either the instructions are too vague or I just don't have the time to waste trying to troubleshoot every dependency under the sun. Big time wasters include LinuxFromScratch, Slax and Cross Linux From Scratch
Actually, Slax ranks now as the 36th most popular over the last six months; three ahead of the widely renown SystemRescueCD.. From its distrowatch summary at http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=slax
Quoting:Slax is a Slackware-based bootable CD containing a Linux operating system, designed with a modular approach. Despite its small size, Slax provides a wide collection of pre-installed software for daily use, including a well-organised graphical user interface and useful recovery tools for system administrators.
Certainly does NOT seem anything at all like one of the "Big time wasters" here!!

And furthermore, why no mention at all of the largely irrelevant Xandros entitty that buried Linspire several years ago, http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=xandros ??? Xandros DOES have a 2006 maintenance date, so it IS among the "various distributions over the past 15 years" even if it currently ranks way down as the 48th most popular distro on the rankings list; even below that of Wolvix and Moblin.

Hess may need to perform more research and testing of the REALLY worst distros for the next revision of this piece.

Sander_Marechal

Jul 13, 2009
2:51 AM EDT
IMHO it's just a fluff piece written to get hits.
tracyanne

Jul 13, 2009
4:24 AM EDT
That's why I didn't bother even going there.
jdixon

Jul 13, 2009
6:41 AM EDT
Hess = Hartley.
caitlyn

Jul 13, 2009
8:49 AM EDT
The more I read by Ken Hess the more I think the guy is an idiot. vainveenr hit on the two that really, really, really don't belong on any worst lists. Zenwalk may make a few best distro lists, though. It certainly has in the past.

I have to laugh at his contention that anything labeled as secure automatically isn't.

Ubuntu on a worst list? I'm not a big Ubuntu fan but it isn't that bad.
techiem2

Jul 13, 2009
9:10 AM EDT
Not to mention knocking mobile distros such as OpenMoko and assuming that nobody that enjoys working with such things has a life.

I bought my Freerunner specifically because it was fully open and I knew I could play with many distros on it. (I reload it with a different distro now and then just for fun) Ok, so maybe I DO fall into the doesn't have much of a life category, but I bet most of the devs of the distros don't.

Yeah, I thought the article was rather pointless overall.
tuxchick

Jul 13, 2009
9:16 AM EDT
Executive summary: dumb de dumb dumb.
khess

Jul 13, 2009
10:05 AM EDT
I didn't put Ubuntu on the worst list, actually, I mentioned it as a Microsoft Killer. For that, it is at the top. Funny how people don't actually read what's written.
khess

Jul 13, 2009
10:07 AM EDT
@traycanne

If you didn't bother going there, why are you commenting at all?
azerthoth

Jul 13, 2009
10:31 AM EDT
10: I have no use for, that doesnt mean its useless though 9: I dont need to address, that one was eviscerated already 8: Do DVD releases and listen to the howls from the community for exactly this. 7: Holy elitest prig Batman 6: Agreed, no one needs to really learn how all these thing work anyway, right? See #7 5: Ubuntu should be listed here, seriously 4: Again your lack of use does not make it useless. 3: see #4 2: holy crud, see #3 1: Your listing a currently vaporware OS in MS killer, there is only one MS killer, thats MS.

Hows that for a point by point analysis showing that your nothing more than a click hound. You did not get a single thing right, wait let me rephrase that. You were 100% incorrect on every single point.

You could have slapped Hartleys name on this and no one would have known the difference.

So in response for Tracyanne, Ken why didnt you bother reading your article before posting it.
jdixon

Jul 13, 2009
10:56 AM EDT
> You could have slapped Hartleys name on this and no one would have known the difference.

Like I said. :)
khess

Jul 13, 2009
11:00 AM EDT
@azeroth

You are entitled to your opinion. It doesn't mean that you're correct. It's funny how commenters always feel that their opinion is superior to all others. Just because you say I'm wrong, doesn't really mean that I'm wrong. I think you're wrong.

Who the h*ll is Hartely? Nina Hartley??? Woo Hoo!!!
TxtEdMacs

Jul 13, 2009
11:28 AM EDT
Quoting:Executive summary: dumb de dumb dumb.
Joe Friday, I presume. Isn't it a bit late for you to have quit the smoking habit, ... you are merely bones with a bit of skin on you. Please go. Oh, you might want to visit Ken Hess and enlighten each other. Bye.

YBT
jdixon

Jul 13, 2009
11:37 AM EDT
> It's funny how commenters always feel that their opinion is superior to all others.

Yeah, it is, isn't it. Funny, so do most columnists.

> Who the hell is Hartely?

Matt Hartley. Another columnist. A quick search here should turn up numerous links to his articles.
khess

Jul 13, 2009
11:51 AM EDT
Ummm, yeah but columnists get paid for their opinions. ;-)

Matt sounds like a cool guy. I'll check him out.
tuxchick

Jul 13, 2009
12:21 PM EDT
Ok TxtEdMacs, just for you I am going to apply my editor's red pencil to a couple parts of the article. (BTW, that's Josephine Friday.)

Quoting: 9. Super-specialized Distributions - A couple of years ago I saw a Linux distribution called something like 8086 Linux. OK, I admit that it's cute but is it practical? Keep those kinds of distros in academia where practicality isn't important. The throwaways in this category include GeeXBoX, LinuxConsole and Zenwalk.

The whole idea of FOSS is so that code is not "kept in academia", but made freely available to anyone who wants it. "Something like 8086 Linux"? Is that the name or not? It's the author's job to look these things up. Why are GeeXBoX, LinuxConsole and Zenwalk throwaways? It's the author's job to back up his assertions.

Quoting: 8. Minimal Desktop - How many of these do we need? Seriously, if you want a minimal desktop, install busybox, xfce or lxde and use it. We don't need 50 distros named 'minimal.' Ones to avoid are CrunchBang, INX and LormaLinux.

Using a lightweight window manager or graphical environment likebusybox, xfce or lxde does not trim down the base install, which is completely separate. Minimal distributions do a considerable amount of trimming beyond package selection and graphical environments. What are the specific reasons to avoid CrunchBang, INX and LormaLinux?

Quoting: 7. Foreign Language Distros - Most major distros ask during installation which language you want to use so why do we need these? I mean, do we really need an Eskimo Linux? One exception here--I think Red Hat should have kept Redneck as one of their installation language choices--it was the second language after English that they had for Red Hat. There are too many transgressors in this category to list here.

This one left my jaw hanging. Who is this author, Archie Bunker?

Just like a certain commonly-cited body part, everyone has an opinion. What makes an opinion worth listening to is it has a basis and reasons. Anyone can say "I like this" or "This thing sucks." So what, why should anyone else care? "Because I say so and have these creds" doesn't matter-- any article or opinion piece needs to stand on its own merits.

If this is really some kind of clever satire that went over my head, my apologies.
jdixon

Jul 13, 2009
12:35 PM EDT
> This one left my jaw hanging...

Well, if we're going to eliminate all foreign langauge distros, then by population count we all better be prepared to start using Red Flag Linux. :)

> If this is really some kind of clever satire that went over my head...

No such luck, TC.
jdixon

Jul 13, 2009
12:36 PM EDT
> Matt sounds like a cool guy.

Depends on your definition of cool, I suppose.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 13, 2009
1:35 PM EDT
Like it or not, but you have to admit that the last few Hartley pieces posted here aren't as bad as the one's he was constantly writing a year ago.
jdixon

Jul 13, 2009
1:58 PM EDT
> ...but you have to admit that the last few Hartley pieces posted here aren't as bad as the one's he was constantly writing a year ago.

Well, it would have been hard to be worse unless he changed his name to Coursey, Foley, O'Gara, or Enderle. :)
azerthoth

Jul 13, 2009
2:21 PM EDT
Boy I'm glad you said columnists and not journalists.
caitlyn

Jul 13, 2009
4:49 PM EDT
Some of the people writing negative comments, like tuxchick, are paid columnists (or journalists) who write pieces which demonstrate their detailed knowledge of the subject matter and offer informed opinions. Then there are columnists who write pieces which demonstrate their lack of knowledge of the subject matter and offer uninformed opinions.

I notice khess didn't bother replying to the substantive criticism. Let's reiterate some of it:

How is Zenwalk a specialty distro rather than a general purpose distro? What makes it specialized? What makes it qualify for a worst list as a specialty distro?

How is Slax a tool for creating your own distro rather than a ready-to-go live CD distro? What makes it a tool for building a distro rather than a complete distro in its own right? What makes it qualify for a worst as a tool for building your own distro?

Your inclusion of these and where you placed them in your article makes it seem that you have never really tried either distro and know little or nothing about them, Mr. Hess.

Some columnists write clearly so that you understand precisely what they mean. Some write disjointed gibberish. Your entire piece laid out categories of distros you don't like and then named some prime examples as worst. Towards then end you list another category and then include Ubuntu in the category. You now say it isn't listed as a worst. That's as clear as mud.

OK, if you say so, but then your article is pretty incoherent and badly written.

I get paid for my writing too. I don't just blindly dismiss all my critics. I try to learn from constructive criticism. Your writing would improve if you did the same.

tracyanne

Jul 13, 2009
5:34 PM EDT
@khess

Quoting: If you didn't bother going there, why are you commenting at all?

I read the intro, it was obviously a piece designed to garner hits, so I didn't bother going there. The commentary has confirmed my original opinion.

To answer your actual question. This is a comments boards, my comment was to say I couldn't be bothered reading the actual piece. Do you find it unreasonable that that someone would state that they didn't bother reading what appeared to be an obvious fluff piece?
softwarejanitor

Jul 13, 2009
8:35 PM EDT
khess also posted it to LinkedIn... the discussion there was also overwhelmingly negative and his answer was basically that it was supposed to be sarcasm. Well, unfortunately if that's the case most people didn't get it.
jdixon

Jul 13, 2009
9:27 PM EDT
> I don't just blindly dismiss all my critics. I try to learn from constructive criticism.

Speaking as a sometimes critic, I can vouch for that.

> The commentary has confirmed my original opinion.

Which is the main reason we post our opinions. It's a lot easier when you don't have to do everything yourself.

> ...and his answer was basically that it was supposed to be sarcasm.

It was? Could have fooled me.
azerthoth

Jul 13, 2009
9:43 PM EDT
janitor .. link?
tracyanne

Jul 13, 2009
10:14 PM EDT
Quoting:It's a lot easier when you don't have to do everything yourself.

Yeah I like that.
tuxchick

Jul 13, 2009
10:15 PM EDT
Humor is hard, and nearly impossible with over-literal computer geeks. Don't even try for subtlety, if it's not as obvious as a Three Stooges skit then it won't work.
gus3

Jul 13, 2009
10:31 PM EDT
Quoting:his answer was basically that it was supposed to be sarcasm.
"I was just joking!"

Easy enough to say after the damage is done.
softwarejanitor

Jul 14, 2009
10:01 AM EDT
@azerthoth Looks like its been pulled. Sorry...
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 14, 2009
7:11 PM EDT
I just read this lovely piece, and either the guy is not going for humor/satire, or he's not hitting it at all.
hkwint

Aug 02, 2009
1:03 PM EDT
While I like most of Ken's articles (I might be the only one in this forum it seems?) it certainly seems this was Ken's worst article of 2009. There's not much distro's that are not mentioned, so basically the article says over 90% of Linux distro's are "the worst of 2009".

Probably it would have been a better idea to keep the list shorter, and elaborate more on why that particular distribution is bad. For example, I could write an article of the same length explaining why F11 is a bad distro - in my opinion. Too much list, too less arguments.

And BTW: Downloading a 'pre-installed virtual Debian' solved some of the hassles I couldn't solve on my own when installing Debian in kvm. You saw the VMWare WinXP images - pre-cracked and patched with SP3 in the 'usual suspect distribution channels?' 100% illegal, but saves you lots of time. However, the problem with these is they are not to be trusted, you don't know what people did put in the image, like malware etc, which would also be possible for Linux VMWare appliances. That would have been a better argument I suppose.

Apart from that, the virtual appliances are a great way to circumvent using anything beyond the freeware VMPlayer. VMPlayer doesn't create machines. For example, you can't install WinXP when you only have VMPlayer, but you can if you hack a 'DSL Virtual Appliance'. However, I screwed up two mingled / intermixed WinXP machines and manually 'hacking' the vmdk-lists / vmx files only made the darn thing segfault without a proper error message. So now I'm using VirtualBox, which is about three times faster in my experience.
jdixon

Aug 02, 2009
1:38 PM EDT
> So now I'm using VirtualBox, which is about three times faster in my experience.

Virtualbox seems to be about half again as fast as VMWare Server on my machine.
bigg

Aug 02, 2009
2:34 PM EDT
In my experience, if you have sufficient RAM and processor power, you can run Linux in seamless mode on top of Windows and get performance that's indistinguishable from a hard drive installation. That's what my wife does. I'm sure it depends on the apps that you're running, though.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!