I was reminded again this weekend...

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
techiem2

Jul 13, 2009
10:04 AM EDT
...how false it is that Windows "just works".

I had to reinstall a customer's machine that has apparently been crashing quite often.

Step 1: Backup the profile directories across the network (using a linux livecd of course). Step 2: dban the hard disk just in case Windows did something screwy to it that was causing problems. Step 3: Reinstall Windows from the Dell reinstall CD. Step 4: Use the Dell Drivers CD with many reboots to install all the drivers since Windows DOESN'T include most of them by default. Step 5: Run through about 20 rounds of Windows Updates with many reboots. Step 6: Download and install Antivirus, OpenOffice, Firefox, VLC, etc. so the machine is actually useful and semi-secure-er. Step 7: Walk through the backed up profile directories to clean out everything but the actual data that needs to be put back. Step 8: Put the data back on the machine in the appropriate directories in the profiles.

So my conclusion was that all the fudsters that claim that Windows "Just Works" either:

1. Have never installed Windows at all 2. Have only used full restore cds that have everything on them (i.e. not a proper install) 3. Have never installed a recent Linux to actually compare (or chose something advanced like Gentoo) 4. Know the truth and are just plain lying

softwarejanitor

Jul 13, 2009
11:24 AM EDT
The answer in most cases is probably #4, followed by #1. Oh... And possibly #3 also if they claim "well don't get me wrong, but ..."
helios

Jul 13, 2009
12:56 PM EDT
I installed Mepis on 3 computers yesterday. Install time from boot to reboot?

9 minutes.

Windows, once properly competed with, cannot withstand that.
gus3

Jul 13, 2009
10:08 PM EDT
@helios:

Of course, you conveniently "forgot" to mention you had it hooked up to a 680V AC power supply to handle the extra cooling for the severely over-clocked CPU. I mean, really, who can believe 9 minutes for a working Linux install?

/me ducks
tuxchick

Jul 13, 2009
10:12 PM EDT
gus3, do try to get your facts straight. Everyone knows Ken overclocks by running jumper cables from his Kenworth 18-wheeler. And thus he has the fastest PCs in the world-- for a few seconds at a time.

[photos of melted slag, still steaming]
gus3

Jul 13, 2009
10:35 PM EDT
@tc:

And everyone knows that Kenworths use 680V DC for their internal electrical systems. He replaced the power inverter because the OEM stepped the voltage down to 120V AC, too wimpy for his purposes.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 14, 2009
2:09 AM EDT
You're all wrong. Ken uses the Kenworth 18-wheeler to transport an experimental Hyperion. That's what he uses to turbo-charge the PCs: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/09/portable-backyard-nu...
tuxchick

Jul 14, 2009
9:28 AM EDT
LOL Sander, so that's Ken's secret for giving new life to old PCs. I thought I heard crazed cackling...
NoDough

Jul 14, 2009
3:01 PM EDT
>> You're all wrong. Ken uses the Kenworth 18-wheeler to transport an experimental Hyperion.

No. He transports the Hyperion in a converted DeLorean.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 14, 2009
3:20 PM EDT
Are you sure? Because I'm pretty sure that the DeLorean's "Mr. Fusion" is a lot smaller than a Hyperion...
tracyanne

Jul 14, 2009
5:28 PM EDT
One of the blokes I work with bit the bullet the other night, wiped Windows and installed Ubuntu Linux. He received an update of some sort from Microsoft that reformated borked his system. So rather than reinstall windows he haid bugger it, and after backing up any personal files he was able to salvage, installed Ubuntu.

He said it took him most of the evening to get the dual Monitors working, but put most of that down to nVidia. Not bad for someone who ony a few weeks ago first tried Ubuntu on a live CD, and actually has his spare machine at my place so I can install Linux for him.

I should hear more of his adventures into Linux today.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 14, 2009
6:30 PM EDT
There's always a honeymoon phase with a Windows installation before it starts to go ...

Right now I've got a Windows machine that's killing me. I think I've finally gotten my Ubuntu laptop in shape (with Flash 10 swapping in for browser-killing Flash 9; Flash is most definitely evil ...).

For what it's worth, the only machine NOT to give me trouble over the past six months: The iBook G4 (1 GHz/1.1GB) running Mac OS X 10.4.
tuxchick

Jul 14, 2009
6:58 PM EDT
Necrobook. **Chortle.**

Oops, wrong thread. Bye!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!