I remember Caldera Linux

Story: Gone But Not Forgotten: Five Great Linux Distributions That Did Not Survive (DistroWatch Weekkly #311)Total Replies: 16
Author Content
tuxchick

Jul 13, 2009
12:07 PM EDT
Caldera Linux was one of the first 'friendly faces' for Debian. If I remember correctly, Red Hat was the dominant linux at the time. Debian had reputation for being wonderful once you got past the installer, which was seen as a 'worthiness test' more than an installer. Hey you youngsters, you better appreciate the excellent and easy Linux installers we have now--in the olden days it was almost as hard to install Linux as it is to install Windows.

Ransom Love was the CEO of Caldera then, and a pretty nice guy. He seemed genuinely interested in Linux and FOSS, and the different mindset that FOSS required from the usual corporate silliness. Then Darl and his henchpeople swept in like a horde of invaders and took over. I never could get a straight answer on why Ransom and the old Caldera execs were purged, though it seems apparent that the plan, as Caitlyn said, was to become a litigation troll rather than a software company.

Quoting: For those of us who remember what Caldera contributed to Linux desktop development before things went so horribly wrong it isn't quite that simple. The developers who made Caldera OpenLinux a leading distribution in the late 1990s had nothing to do with the management who eventually destroyed the distro and ultimately the company as well.
dinotrac

Jul 13, 2009
12:17 PM EDT
I remember Ransom Love working the booth at LinuxWorld in NYC, handing out CDs and chatting with the hoi polloi. It was a different world.
softwarejanitor

Jul 13, 2009
12:24 PM EDT
@tuxchick -- I thought Caldera Linux was based on .rpm not .deb ? I could be wrong, its been a long time since those dusty boxes on my shelf were touched.
tuxchick

Jul 13, 2009
12:29 PM EDT
softwarejanitor, I think I'm remembering wrong. According to Wikipedia it seems it was not a direct derivative of any existing Linux distribution, but a mix of Linux, Unix, and some Windows interoperability tools: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caldera_OpenLinux

tuxchick

Jul 13, 2009
12:39 PM EDT
BTW, nice work as always, Caitlyn.
dinotrac

Jul 13, 2009
1:31 PM EDT
TC -

OpenLinux was definitely RPM based.
herzeleid

Jul 13, 2009
2:26 PM EDT
@all - caldera actually started out as a redhat-based distro. They basically took a redhat install and ran a utility called "calderize" to convert it to caldera. Of course it diverged widely from that redhat base, resembling suse more than anything else.

Caldera came with some extras not found in other distros - for instance netware connectivity tools, netscape server and other some innovative admin utilities. I used caldera in 1996 while working at TRW and the netware tools came in very handy.

Caldera will probably be remembered best for their cool installer that let you play tetris while the OS install finished.
caitlyn

Jul 13, 2009
5:16 PM EDT
@tuxchick: Thanks for the kind words. Caldera 1.x was definitely based on Red Hat. By the late '90s Caldera was about as much Red Hat as SUSE was Slackware. Those may have been the origins of the respective distros but they were doing their own thing and writing their own code. Caldera was particularly innovative at the time with the first GUI installer, the first comprehensive GUI admin tool, etc...

That mix of things you refer to, essentially a Linux distro with a SCO UNIXWare kernel side by side with a Linux kernel, came much later, after the SCO acquisition. It was actually one of those last gasp things from SCO/Caldera as management was preparing to flush the distro down the drain.

The first Debian for the masses distro was definitely Storm Linux (the second one covered in my article) and it was making waves in 1999-2000, the same time Caldera was peaking in popularity. I think maybe you've mixed and matched bits from two very good distros of the time in your memory.

Ransom Love did a lot of good things while running Caldera but he never completely got out of the Novell proprietary software company mindset. Most of the Caldera extensions and unique code was proprietary rather than FOSS. Per-seat licensing for COL was also introduced on Ransom Love's watch. OK, compared to Darl McBride and company the guy seems positively angelic but he made some really bad decisions while running Caldera which opened the door to disaster.

Ransom Love probably finally had the right answer with the United Linux partnership. By the time it was released McBride was firmly in charge and had zero interest in continuing the Linux business.

@herzeleid: Caldera came with a ton of stuff not found in other distros. Much (or perhaps most) of it was proprietary. They really didn't care about licensing much. When Red Hat and others were eschewing KDE because of TrollTech's licensing of QT the folks at Caldera embraced it with open arms.

In 1998 the result was a polished distro that couldn't be achieved with FOSS alone. If Caldera management (including Ransom Love) had a serious clue they would have gone this way only as an interim step. Bits and pieces like COAS and Lizard would have had FOSS licenses as well.

@all: Caldera was way ahead of its time technically. It achieved a lot of what Ubuntu is still trying to achieve more than 10 years ago. Caldera created a user friendly, highly functional, stable, secure, reliable OS without a lot of significant bugs. They were plagued by management problems most of the way and that only became more serious as time went on.

The truly sad thing is that some of their business models (consultancy, proprietary extensions) could have worked if given ample tiime and focus. They did a lot of what Red Hat has done successfully before Red Hat did it. The problem was that nothing was given ample time and they lurched from one attempt to monetize the distro to another. Without adequate time to build focus and market their ideas everythiing was doomed to failure. Would-be investors recognized this. Caldera's failed IPO was in part because they came to the party too late (as in as the dot com bubble was already bursting) and in part because they failed to communicate a clear business model.

Caldera could have recovered from all of this. The huge financial windfall from the Microsoft settlement could have been a boon to FOSS if used to build viable company. Instead a get rich quick mentality consumed the company and they were off to play litigation roulette.

You know what really makes me sick? SCO, the litigation company, always finds more financing before it fails. Companies like Stormix, which really came up with the Ubuntu concept years before Shuttleworth, couldn't find funding even though they really did have something special to offer.

softwarejanitor

Jul 13, 2009
8:28 PM EDT
@caitlyn I agree with most of what you have said about Caldera and Stormix's failures. Its sad that so much potential was lost due to bad management and lack of capital. If one or more of those companies had been able to build the kind of momentum 10 years ago that Ubuntu has today the OS landscape might have been a bit different than it is now.
jdixon

Jul 13, 2009
9:14 PM EDT
> If one or more of those companies had been able to build the kind of momentum 10 years ago that Ubuntu has today the OS landscape might have been a bit different than it is now.

Possibly, but the apps weren't really ready yet. Mozilla had not yet forked to Firefox. No OpenOffice yet, just StarOffice. I don't believe Wine could run Notes yet, and there was no native Notes client. Gnumeric hadn't reached 1.0 yet. And the list goes on from there. It takes time to develop free apps to compete with their proprietary counterparts, and mosf of them weren't there yet.
tuxchick

Jul 13, 2009
9:40 PM EDT
Corel Linux!!!

That was Debian-based, that is. Easy to install, perty graphics, and they tried to make some clever use of WINE to run Corel PhotoPaint, some games, some nice play-nice-with- Windows tools, and Word Perfect. As I recall the WINE apps weren't quite there, but the Linux-y bits were pretty good. I used to be a huge CorelDraw fan, so getting PhotoPaint on Linux was exciting. They had USB support before Windoze, hahaha. Then you'll never guess what happened. Come on, guess.

?

You're right, you smart penguins you! Microsoft bought into Corel, and then in an amazing coincidence, which I am sure had nothing to do with anything, Corel Linux slowly vanished. No drama, no announcements, it just quietly went away. There was the usual grumbling and accusations, but nothing ever came of it.

Wikipedia has links to some news stories on the MS deal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corel_Linux

This quote from a Joe Barr interview is priceless. Shades of Mono:

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/10/16/corel.linu...
Quoting: LinuxWorld: With the recent investment by Microsoft, many people in the Linux community are concerned about your various Linux projects getting derailed. What effect will there be on your Linux ambitions?

Rene Schmidt: Essentially, with Linux, we are very committed to it. And the agreement, or partnership, or alliance, whatever you want to call it, with Microsoft is not anti-Linux or anything. It is really about .Net.

What's the saying, MS doesn't have partners, it has victims.

Anyway I am happy I remembered Corel Linux!
gus3

Jul 13, 2009
10:21 PM EDT
@caitlyn:

Take a gander at SCO's latest "interested party":

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20090711015440158
caitlyn

Jul 14, 2009
1:16 AM EDT
Oy! Thanks for the link, gus3. I guess the SCO nightmare never ends.
caitlyn

Jul 14, 2009
1:17 AM EDT
@tuxchick: In the end Corel Linux was purchased by and rolled into Xandros. I wouldn't call it a dead distro any more than I would Connectiva, Mandrake and Lycoris, which all merged and became Mandriva.
baron66

Jul 14, 2009
6:04 AM EDT
HI I have a book called QUE " EASY LINUX " by Lisa Lee, bought off ebay i thought that it may have covered a later version of a linux like ubuntu or suse or ???

I understand after reading ( I Remember Caldera Linux ) that this is no more

So is anyone interested in this book ?

If so please email me pljob@hotmail.com

jdixon

Jul 14, 2009
6:54 AM EDT
> Caldera came with a ton of stuff not found in other distros. Much (or perhaps most) of it was proprietary....

Which meant it all went the way of the Dodo when Caldera became the current SCO.

That's also why you can't still find Caldera iso's around. Since they had so many proprietary components, they couldn't be mirrored by the usual mirror sites. :(
caitlyn

Jul 14, 2009
4:33 PM EDT
Quoting:Caldera came with a ton of stuff not found in other distros. Much (or perhaps most) of it was proprietary....

Which meant it all went the way of the Dodo when Caldera became the current SCO.

Exactly. The DistroWatch comments section this week has turned into a Libranet love-fest. Libranet also was closed, pay-as-you-play, and anything they developed was proprietary. People who loved their admin tool couldn't continue it because the source code was never released.

That's also why you can't still find Caldera iso's around. Since they had so many proprietary components, they couldn't be mirrored by the usual mirror sites. :(

If you look hard enough you can find some early ones (i.e.: 1.x). The really good releases (2.x and 3.1.1) are impossible to find, which is a pity. I wouldn't run them anyway as they would be security nightmares, but I do have some nostalgic feelings towards them.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!