is this really surprising?

Story: When Zeal Becomes Zealotry: A Tawdry TaleTotal Replies: 23
Author Content
justintime

Jul 14, 2009
4:57 PM EDT
Is anyone really that surprised that Roy Schestowitz is up to these immoral activities?

Glad that troll finally got caught at it, though.

The irony is that he's always attacking Mono developers saying that they are running a smear campaign against him. Turns out, he's the one running the smear campaigns. My grandmother always used to tell me, "those who scream the loudest are often the most guilty." Just another example of that ringing true.
KernelShepard

Jul 14, 2009
6:34 PM EDT
Saw this in the "Up and coming" sidebar on fsdaily.com this morning which is funny since I rarely ever visit that site due to the spam flood of Roy's articles (it's pretty much all that site has to offer anymore, an echo of boycottnovell.com).
flufferbeer

Jul 14, 2009
6:59 PM EDT
@justintime, Good for you to comment on this!

There is a valid word called "BEWITCHED", meaning someone "falling under a witch's or wizard's spell". Harry Potter movie reference here?

So now we can use the word BESCHESTOWITZED, meaning that Mark Fink and others are falling under Roy Schestowitz's MONOmaniacal spells !! LOL
gus3

Jul 14, 2009
8:26 PM EDT
And it all comes down to a PGP signature, or the more general term "non-repudiation." I'd never seen an example of it until now.

The only catch is, the posted message doesn't verify. It isn't me, because someone else noticed it, too. It could be a whitespace issue, or an HTML-to-plaintext conversion issue, but as it stands, it doesn't check.

YET.
KernelShepard

Jul 14, 2009
8:30 PM EDT
Roy doesn't deny that he sent the message. That suggests that he did.

You could always try asking the guy for the original email so that you can verify it for yourself.
gus3

Jul 14, 2009
8:36 PM EDT
The other commenter who noticed the failed verification, did request the original message be made available for independent analysis.
KernelShepard

Jul 14, 2009
8:49 PM EDT
If Roy denied sending it, I would agree that the signature verification would be important. However, this is not the case.

Actually, no need to verify the signature at all. Roy admits he sent it:

http://opensourcetogo.blogspot.com/2009/06/when-zeal-becomes...
dinotrac

Jul 15, 2009
12:35 PM EDT
Is Roy, isn't Roy, proof positive or just stuff, doesn't it say all we need to know that nobody here seems to believe that it COULDN'T be Roy, that Roy would never do such a thing?
azerthoth

Jul 15, 2009
1:16 PM EDT
I am perfectly willing to believe that Roy is capable of such. Whether this is being caught in the act ... on that I will withhold judgement. However I have gone on record before stating that I believe he lives in a world of self generated facts and supposition.
caitlyn

Jul 15, 2009
3:03 PM EDT
Quoting:I believe he lives in a world of self generated facts and supposition.

I'd sooner characterize it as paranoid delusion than facts and supposition.
azerthoth

Jul 15, 2009
4:15 PM EDT
well, yes, but I was trying to exercise some tact. I mean honestly who is more likely to scream about character assassination than someone who practices it.
dinotrac

Jul 15, 2009
5:40 PM EDT
azer --

I resent your implications and demand that you take them back or I'll have to tell people what you were doing with that under-aged sneaker.
softwarejanitor

Jul 15, 2009
6:02 PM EDT
I didn't realize so many people hated Roy... While I am no fan of Mono or Novell and especially not Microsoft, I never really paid that much attention to boycottnovell.org or him personally...

TxtEdMacs

Jul 15, 2009
7:18 PM EDT
swj,

So you just swept him under the rug? Hmm, what contempt.

YBT
azerthoth

Jul 15, 2009
7:19 PM EDT
HAH, I have no under aged sneakers, mine are all well beyond middle aged as any nose knows.

@janitor I actually like Roy, I dislike his logic. He can do outstanding articles and has, just not when its one of his triggers. Where upon he looses all connections with reality.
softwarejanitor

Jul 15, 2009
7:58 PM EDT
@TxtEdMacs No, I just never really paid that much attention. Its not like I actively went out of my way to shun him or anything.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 15, 2009
9:44 PM EDT
swj,

I guess your new here. So anything you see with my alias without serious tags is either to be ignored (which most do around here without resorting to either the manual or one on one training) or accept it as pure fiction with an attempt at or dash of humor.

Your Buddy Txt. (aka YBT)
dinotrac

Jul 16, 2009
8:48 AM EDT
swj -

Ignore Txt's suggestion to ignore him.

He is a dangerous individual who comes by these parts to spread mayhem and chaos.

Or is that canhem? I always get "May I" and "Can I" confused. I also get my children confused.

My dog does ok, but I think he's just humoring me.

Anyway, as you can see, Txt is not to be taken delieriously.

Danger, Danger Brooks Robinson, Will's stealing third.
gus3

Jul 16, 2009
9:00 AM EDT
Quoting:My dog does ok, but I think he's just humoring me.
And your cat merely tolerates you, but rest assured, your thoughts are being beamed back to the mother ship.
jdixon

Jul 16, 2009
9:21 AM EDT
> My dog does ok, but I think he's just humoring me.

It's OK Dino, we know that your dog is actually a former K9 police dog who worked for the NSA and DOD intel divisions before that, and is currently monitoring LXer and other FOSS sites for possible subversive activities by those hippy Linux users.

That's why he's so willing to put up with you.
dinotrac

Jul 16, 2009
9:23 AM EDT
>That's why he's so willing to put up with you.

And I thought it was because I feed him.

My cats.
jdixon

Jul 16, 2009
7:29 PM EDT
> And I thought it was because I feed him.

That's what he wants you to think.
jacog

Jul 17, 2009
8:00 AM EDT
I imagine pooch has very little of interest to report about said subversive activities. :) But hey, if Julia Child could be a WWII spy, then why not Dino's dog also.
dinotrac

Jul 17, 2009
10:35 AM EDT
jacog -

He's a very smart dog.

Took the MCSE exam on a whim and passed it. Took me a long time to find out, however, because he didn't tell anybody for fear it would make him look stupid.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!