What's the deal with the tags?

Story: OpenSuSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva BenchmarksTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
dumper4311

Jul 17, 2009
11:59 AM EDT
The last 4 or 5 stories I've seen posted with OpenSUSE in the title (and/or the content) - including this one - have failed to include OpenSUSE in the Groups: tag, in spite of catching Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu, and whatever else the given article may touch upon. This leads me to a couple of questions:

Who is doing the tagging of these articles? and Is this intentional bias, or simply mindless neglect?

Obviously I'm an OpenSUSE user, but that's hardly the point. This makes me wonder just how far such subtle behaviors go; accidentally or intentionally, there's something wrong here. Any site that in practice pushes a bias should at least identify that bias up front, as a simple matter of honesty. Of course, I may be way off base, and just need someone to help assuage my paranoia. . . . :)
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 17, 2009
12:11 PM EDT
We have a SuSE tag but not a openSuSE tag, I will add the suse tag now..sorry.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 17, 2009
12:28 PM EDT
The problem is probably that most of the tags are picked automagically by the system. It doesn't recognise that content about OpenSuse should be tagged with the "Suse" tag.
dumper4311

Jul 17, 2009
12:31 PM EDT
@Scott:

Thanks for the reply, and the tag info. I wasn't looking to chastise anyone, or avenge a wrong, I just see a long running pattern here that I can't find a sound reason for, and was wondering if it was the direction this site intended to go?

(edit)

Sander, thanks for the additional.
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 17, 2009
6:27 PM EDT
Wake up, little Suse.
dumper4311

Jul 17, 2009
7:17 PM EDT
:)

There's links on google attributing that song to The Everly Brothers, Simon & Garfunkel, and Buddy Holly. Forgive my ignorance, but can you tell me who made it popular?
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 17, 2009
7:36 PM EDT
I do my best to adjust the tags for what they miss but I am by no means perfect or consistent. I am sorry.
alc

Jul 17, 2009
7:52 PM EDT
@dumper4311 The Everly Brothers
jdixon

Jul 17, 2009
8:51 PM EDT
> The Everly Brothers

That's funny, I believe I'm more familiar with the Buddy Holly version. Probably an age difference. I don't think I've even heard the Simon & Garfunkel version
gus3

Jul 17, 2009
9:13 PM EDT
@jdixon:

I heard the S&G version before I heard the Everly Brothers version. The Concert in Central Park album was ascending the charts just as I started listening to Casey Kasem.
phsolide

Jul 18, 2009
9:16 PM EDT
Speaking of categories in which to place articles, how about a "Blogware" check box for all "Chrome OS" (and maybe Windows 8) articles?
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 19, 2009
2:50 PM EDT
I should've saved "Wake up little Suse" for an actual article on Suse, but I couldn't help myself.
azerthoth

Jul 19, 2009
3:03 PM EDT
We wont rat you out if you recycle.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!