We didn't have to wait for long ...

Story: The Free Open Source Software EvangelistTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
krisum

Jul 25, 2009
1:16 AM EDT
... for some from the other side to come out with their own irrational version.
azerthoth

Jul 25, 2009
2:17 AM EDT
Normally the Beez makes sense, I think someone found his button. This comes across more as a mild tantrum, you can hammer away at some people all day long, but dont you dare try to victimize or talk out against these others.

Conscious or unconscious RMS is/was/will be guilty of excersizing a bias based wholly on gender, no amount of but but but thats not what he meant or take it in this context can mitigate that fact.

As to Roy, outside of his monomania he is a well thought out and logical person from what I have read of his and the few times I have conversed with him. Inside his bubble though ... point A connects to point G directly, with no logic, a tortured dialog, and facts that usually do not support his position.

Not saying that the facts do not support a position, or show whomever in a less than pretty light. They just often dont support Roys conclusions.

Beez, if you had to pick two people to defend on position, you should have picked two who were defensible to start with.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 25, 2009
3:58 AM EDT
Well, I only half agree with that. Reading the article I don't think he so much jumps to RMS's and Roy's defense, as he is crtitcising the level of discussion that is going on at the moment. That level has been lowering. Even here on LXer, much to my dismay.
krisum

Jul 25, 2009
6:56 AM EDT
The problem I find with such articles is senseless use of words like "Rejoice! Miguel praised the gods on Mount Redmond for their gift. We are delivered!". These are not meant to convey anything to the other side. In other words this post, among many others (including the one it is meant to be a reply to), is not about discussing with those having a different viewpoint rather just picking a fight.

edit: there is also a problem with his logic and misrepresentation to defend some persons, but that IMO is a smaller problem
number6x

Jul 25, 2009
9:46 AM EDT
Its pretty amazing the amount of time being wasted about this topic.

Free and open source discussions usually center around technical issues like getting a wireless or graphics card to work, or the discussion is around FOSS related non-technical discussions (often related to law) like BSD v. GPL or merits of GPL3, or the discussion is around some non-FOSS but uber geeky topic like floating organic blobs off the coast of Alaska.

During the past few weeks an incredible amount of time has been wasted over Mono and RMS and false evangelism. Has anything productive been added?

There were some big topics to discuss including possible evidence of bankruptcy fraud in the SCO case and the real evidence of revenue loss for Microsoft, when rival platforms are increasing revenue and profits. These have hardly raised more than a few comments.

These are the kind of non-technical topics that usually get discussed, but it feels like people want the Jerry Springer show instead. Chair throwing does not support open source. It is a sign of stooping to Steve Ballmer's level,
tuxchick

Jul 25, 2009
10:23 AM EDT
And here you are, keeping the discussion going by complaining about how this discussion never ends, and using flamey words like "irrational" and "monomania" and "senseless" even as you complain about everyone being too flamey...
Bob_Robertson

Jul 25, 2009
11:22 AM EDT
Not to worry, TC, I could post something to get this thread deleted. Just say the word.
tuxchick

Jul 25, 2009
11:57 AM EDT
LOL bob, thanks, but it's better to let it run its course :)

This whole thing reminds me of the famous kid's saying:

"Never hit back when your sister or brother hits you first, because they always catch the second kid."
jdixon

Jul 25, 2009
12:56 PM EDT
> Has anything productive been added?

No, because there's really nothing to add. You either think Mono is worth the potential trouble from Microsoft, or you think Microsoft is best avoided. That's what it comes down to in the end.

To me, a very sensible compromise is to make it available to those who want it but not to include it by default. That's the way we've handled most questionable technologies in the past (DVD and MP3 libraries, for example).

Why some feel that's not an option with Mono is beyond me, but even suggesting it gets someone labeled as a faux-FOSS fundamentalist now. :(

And yes, both sides are going overboard.
softwarejanitor

Jul 25, 2009
1:11 PM EDT
@jdixon I agree. I personally choose to shun Mono, but I don't want to force anyone else. I think making it an opt-in rather than a default would be the correct thing to do. And if anyone has a problem with me for believing that then they can ____ off.
krisum

Jul 25, 2009
4:54 PM EDT
Quoting: And here you are, keeping the discussion going by complaining about how this discussion never ends, and using flamey words like "irrational" and "monomania" and "senseless" even as you complain about everyone being too flamey...
First off I did not complain about discussions being unending rather the level at which the discussions are being carried out. Surely the community will need to discuss such issues to satisfaction of most, but such articles hardly add anything to that end. Flamey is too loose a word so you can have your own criteria and consider "senseless" and "irrational" in the same category, though I do not see how. Then again I am not authoring those articles which presumably should be held to expected standards. Btw, I never used "monomania".
Sander_Marechal

Jul 25, 2009
8:13 PM EDT
Quoting:During the past few weeks an incredible amount of time has been wasted over Mono and RMS and false evangelism.

It's painting the bikeshed. Everyone has an opinion. Not everyone is versed in the bankruptcy details of the SCO case so you get fewer comments.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 25, 2009
9:09 PM EDT
Sander,

You are sadly misinformed, when did real knowledge* become a requirement to comment? Particularly when one can say with supreme self assurance the most asinine of blatant falsehoods is just too tempting to stop either the ignorant or the deceitful. When has either the lack of knowledge or the lack of depth of understanding stopped the committed?

Please get with the program and cease to be so idealistic and starry eyed. Pragmatists are idolized by a sizable majority of the non Faux commentariati, so get on the right side of history.

[Am I serious?]

YBT

* I need only cite the mainline press and TV to clinch my case using what we have here in the States [U.S.].
Bob_Robertson

Jul 26, 2009
10:35 AM EDT
> I need only cite the mainline press and TV to clinch my case using what we have here in the States [U.S.].

If there was ever an entire industry doing everything it can to suicide, it's the "mainstream" media in the US.

...and good riddance!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!