Ever install a bug-tracking system?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 31, 2009
1:06 AM EDT
I'd like to set up a bug-tracking system for our projects. Right now we've got nothing, so the simpler the better.

I don't need version control, just a way for users to report what they find and developers to update as bugs in our various leaky boats are closed.

Any ideas on what I should use?
krisum

Jul 31, 2009
2:04 AM EDT
We have been using trac (http://trac.edgewall.org) at our place. It is simple enough to setup and has a simple ticket based system, while allowing for wiki editing of pages to share other information. Creating new reports is quite easy by either saving a custom query or writing one in SQL. It also has a nice integration with subversion, if need be. Just check the site mentioned which itself is a trac page.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 31, 2009
3:31 AM EDT
Yes, Trac is nice. You can turn off the stuff that you don't need like the Subversion browser. But if you only want to track bugs (e.g. you don't need the Wiki either) then I'd suggest a dedicated bugtracker.

I use Bugzilla as well. It's nice, but complex to maintain and use. It scales really well though and has full e-mail integration. There's also Mantis (http://www.mantisbt.org/).

Personally I'd go with Trac though. Having a Wiki alongside the bugtracker is very useful. And if you later need a browser for Subversion or Git (or any other VCS) then it's easily re-enabled.
TxtEdMacs

Jul 31, 2009
11:21 AM EDT
Steven,

[Serious] If you are the only developer, a standardized email form might fit your needs better. Store the email in the proper directory and that alone might suffice. You did imply you are not even using version control, if I read you correctly. Thus, a real bug tracker might be overkill. [/Serious]

YBT
Steven_Rosenber

Jul 31, 2009
9:59 PM EDT
I have a few people that can help me close these bugs, but I'd like the process to be opened up.

I did see Trac, and that looks like it might work.

I almost missed Sander's mention of Mantis Bug Tracker -- that's at the top of my list at present.

Thanks, all!

You cannot post until you login.