Re: Intel video driver issues

Story: I finally solve my Intel video issues with the newer XorgTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
herzeleid

Aug 01, 2009
1:42 PM EDT
I would call the Intel video drivers in jaunty "transitional" rather than "new" - a term which would be more properly applied to the just released drivers found in karmic koala. I'd be curious if your card works properly out of the box using a karmic koala live CD.
caitlyn

Aug 05, 2009
12:04 PM EDT
The problem is this doesn't fix the Intel problem on all chipsets. Performance is still iffy. Interesting artifacts (horizontal lines across newly opened windows and menus) still show up briefly. This works for a few chipsets but not for my 945GM.

In addition EXA is not supported on the 2.80 Intel driver and won't be supported in the future so this just won't work going forward.

Sorry, Steven, you're not out of the woods yet.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 05, 2009
1:51 PM EDT
I'm downloading a Karmic Alpha 3 image now. ... chances of my flaky laptop booting it are about 60-40 against, but I'll give it a try.

From the Karmic Alpha 3 page http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/alpha3

Quoting:New Intel video driver architecture available for testing

The Intel video driver has switched from the "EXA" acceleration method to the new "UXA". This solves major performance problems of Ubuntu 9.04, but could use further testing to flag any regressions it may bring.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 05, 2009
3:49 PM EDT
I couldn't get the Ubuntu Karmic Alpha 3 CD-R to boot on my Toshiba laptop (no surprise there ... it hates CD-R), but I'm running from the live CD on my Dell (P4 3 GHz).

Graphics chip on the Dell is:

Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller

It's running X fine with no xorg.conf

All looked good, then X crashed and took the rest of the box with it. Had to hard-reset.
caitlyn

Aug 05, 2009
4:40 PM EDT
Quoting:All looked good, then X crashed and took the rest of the box with it. Had to hard-reset.

That is the problem with UXA at this point: instability. I actually haven't had a crash in the distro I'm trying now (2.7.99 driver), only those mildly annoying horizontal lines for the first second after a window is opened. FWIW, I like what I'm running at the moment a whole lot better than Ubuntu.
jdixon

Aug 05, 2009
4:46 PM EDT
> FWIW, I like what I'm running at the moment a whole lot better than Ubuntu.

Which is?
caitlyn

Aug 05, 2009
4:50 PM EDT
OK, the review won't hit until Monday on DistroWatch but...

Pardus 2009 International
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 05, 2009
7:18 PM EDT
I'm in a marathon download of the DVD image of the Ubuntu Karmic daily build. The Toshiba likes DVD+R way better than CD-R ... maybe tomorrow I'll have the disc burned and tested.
jdixon

Aug 05, 2009
7:25 PM EDT
> Pardus 2009 International

Thanks. I'll try to remember to give Distrowatch a couple of page hits on Monday.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!