When I compare Pardus to Ubuntu...

Story: First Look: Pardus 2009 (DistroWatch Weekly #315)Total Replies: 11
Author Content
caitlyn

Aug 11, 2009
1:29 AM EDT
When I compare Pardus to Ubuntu I see fewer bugs and a really good and truly user friendly experience. If anyone needs proof that Ubuntu's popularity is because of excellent marketing rather than technical quality I now have a distro to point to.
herzeleid

Aug 11, 2009
1:44 AM EDT
@caitlyn - why the dig at ubuntu? If you like pardus, fine, but is it really necessary to turn every distro review into an ubuntu bashing? BTW what sort of ubuntu marketing are you seeing specifically? I've never seen any ubuntu ads anywhere - however I am inundated daily with an annoying barrage of microsoft advertising.
caitlyn

Aug 11, 2009
2:02 AM EDT
Actually, if you read the review Ubuntu is hardly mentioned and I don't bash it. That was a subject for discussion here.

However the tech press and Linux press and blogosphere is inundated with Ubuntu articles claiming it's the best thing since sliced bread. Ubuntu is equated with Linux and everything else, well, those must be geek toys, right? I'll admit I am more than a little sick of it. OTOH, with the recent buggy as all get out Mandriva release I had no alternative to offer. Now I actually have one.

I haven't seen an Ubuntu release that didn't have serious or show-stopping bugs since Edgy Eft. OK, 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron) is good now after a number of maintenance releases and fixes but it didn't start that way. I honestly can't see why Ubuntu is so popular except for the non-stop Ubuntu hype machine.

You don't see that? Fine, we'll agree to disagree. Pardon me for exercising free speech and venting my frustration with Ubuntu. Or don't pardon me... It really doesn't matter nor will it stop me from voicing opinions.

By my count... anti-Ubuntu articles I've actually written... hmmm.... zero to date.
herzeleid

Aug 11, 2009
1:48 PM EDT
Quoting:By my count... anti-Ubuntu articles I've actually written... hmmm.... zero to date.
Perhaps you haven't written an article devoted to ubuntu bashing, but that's splitting hairs IMHO. You're entitled to your views, and to be sure, I've seen lots of anti-ubuntu tirades elsewhere, so you're not alone in them.

But as for this "ubuntu hype machine" you mention - I do find lots of online articles posted by ubuntu users, but that (sorry) just doesn't look like a hype machine to me. Lots of people find that ubuntu just works for them. The ones grumbling are the corner cases, from what I can tell.

Is ubuntu perfect? Of course not - there are some annoying bugs that I'd like to see fixed. But on the whole I'd have to say that ubuntu is a good thing, certainly good enough for my humble desktop/laptop computing needs as well as my modest server deployments.

In any case, you're of course free to speak your mind - no pardon needed IMHO - and I'd like to invite you to pardon me for exercising free speech as well, if my observations have indeed offended you.

krisum

Aug 12, 2009
1:19 AM EDT
@caitlyn

Quoting: When I compare Pardus to Ubuntu I see fewer bugs and a really good and truly user friendly experience. If anyone needs proof that Ubuntu's popularity is because of excellent marketing rather than technical quality I now have a distro to point to.
So what does Pardus provide over and above other KDE based distros like SimplyMepis or PCLinuxOS?
caitlyn

Aug 12, 2009
1:34 AM EDT
Considering I have never run SimplyMepis or PCLinuxOS that is one question I cannot answer. Sorry.
jdixon

Aug 12, 2009
9:57 AM EDT
> Considering I have never run SimplyMepis or PCLinuxOS

They're pretty good desktop systems, Caitlyn. You should probably give them a try sometime to see what you think.
helios

Aug 13, 2009
7:52 AM EDT
I took Caitlyn on good faith and tried Pardus...It is impressive. What I found most uncomfortable about it was the package manager and lack of packages, but "uncomfortable" is relative. I live and die by Filezilla...the impulse to just scrub it off my hard drive when I found it missing in the repos was strong but I did a little resarch and found the pisi.

Having been tagged early on as an "ubuntu-hater" I won't say much except that I agree with the hype machine thing. And it wasn't traditional marketing that got it there, it was a slow, rolling snowball that got it to critical mass. If you disagree with the "hype machine" thing, spend just 10 minutes with stumbleupon and your settings locked into linux websites. The number of OMG UBUNTU hits is quite annoying, especially when you are scanning for legitimate content and not pom-pom waving. My contention is that the first Linux distro to go maninstream with their marketing will wipe the floor with any distrowatch first-placer...the marketplace speaks loudly when presented with a product that is ready to meet their needs.

I am thinking that the Chrome Machine will hit the airwaves when it is ready...it will be an interesting time. Mark S. has had ample opportunity and Lord knows, the money to at least start an ad campaign...why he hasn't is for him to know I guess. That would put Ubuntu or any distro so far ahead of any other it would change the playing field for a long time to come.
herzeleid

Aug 13, 2009
11:44 AM EDT
Quoting:If you disagree with the "hype machine" thing, spend just 10 minutes with stumbleupon and your settings locked into linux websites
Interesting situation and annoying to some, but it's no hype machine. It's real users, some of whom are new to linux, and to the whole unix culture, and are simply amazed at what's there.

If you want to talk about hype, just imagine a world where you can't watch TV for any length of time without seeing a microsoft ad, or having heavy handed, in-your-face mirosoft product placement in the shows. A world where you can't read a copy of national geographic or scientific american without being subjected to a number of smarmy, full page color microsoft hype ads. Imagine a world where you can't read any IT related publication without drowning in frantic, blaring microsoft hype.

Oh wait. That world is here already. It's the one we live in.

'buntu hype machine? rofl.
caitlyn

Aug 13, 2009
12:59 PM EDT
@helios: When you went through Kaptan did you enable the contrib repository? Filezilla is in contrib. Heck, many of the packages I want are in contrib. I don't know if you read my review but there are test and unofficial repositories as well.

See: http://worldforum.pardus-linux.nl/index.php?topic=2755.0 for a list of repositories and how to enable them.

My main complaint about PiSi (the package manager) is that if you remove a package it doesn't go and clean up orphaned dependencies.

gus3

Aug 13, 2009
5:23 PM EDT
My main complaint about the package manager is the name.

I'd be really embarrassed to talk about that with kids in the room.
caitlyn

Aug 13, 2009
7:51 PM EDT
@gus3: From what I understand it is pronounce PeeZee. The hard Z should solve the problem. It's also perfect for kids because it means "kitty" (as in small cat or kitten) in Turkish.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!