I liked the old UNR interface just fine...

Story: Ubuntu remixes netbook interfaceTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
caitlyn

Aug 13, 2009
8:00 PM EDT
UNR 8.04 came preloaded on my netbook and I thought it was well thought out and worked flawlessly. I certainly didn't think it needed further simplification. In fact it was so simple I mainly use the classic desktop which has much more functionality.

I also wouldn't bet on Windows 7 being on par with Ubuntu or any other Linux distro on true netbooks.
gus3

Aug 13, 2009
10:04 PM EDT
Normally I'm a control freak (the #2 reason I like Slackware), but I find the Ubuntu Netbook Remix ideas very accommodating for how I use my EeePC. The #1 adjustment, which I saw demoed last year at OhioLinuxFest, is putting the window's title bar into the panel. It allows just that much more screen real estate to apps.

Shifting the media tabs on the right, to a dedicated category on the left, will probably be just that much more accommodating to my style.

Go figure.
rijelkentaurus

Aug 14, 2009
10:39 AM EDT
Using Windows 7 RTM on a VM at work. I think I was happier with Vista, which is saying a lot. Service Pack 1 improved Vista a lot (for Vista), but it and 7 are both RAM hungry, I would think its performance on netbooks will drag.

People always forget, for some reason, that the initial release of an MS OS really sucks, and it gets better (in relation to itself, not another OS) as time moves along. 7 on netbooks is going to feel like a drag. I'm sure there will be some improvement in time, but most of that will have to do with the increasing hardware capabilities that happen over time.

Running Windows on a netbook is really just a stupid idea, especially since you have to give so much proc power and RAM to the AV software in the first place. That's just crazy.
caitlyn

Aug 14, 2009
10:51 AM EDT
@rijelkentaurus: I agree. If you remember I even wrote an article about how Windows is a problem for netbook users and pretty much guarantees an unhappy outcome: http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2009/06/high-netbook-return-rat...

Anyway, I expect no better from Windows 7.
tracyanne

Aug 14, 2009
7:26 PM EDT
I've already tried Windows 7 on a VM, it's OK in the same way that XP is OK, but it is still just Windows, when it comes down to it. All the same security issues remain, the requirement for 3rd party add on "security", the same lack of functionality that is standard on a Linux machine. It does look pretty though, and Microsoft obviously spent good money to get the highly professional photos that are used for the backgrounds.

Incidentally, the copy of Windows 7 I got direct from Microsoft, and which is supposed to start warning me sometime next year that I need to purchase a license, is currently warning me that I may have a pirated copy installed... ya gotta love WGA.
caitlyn

Aug 14, 2009
7:28 PM EDT
KDE 4 looks pretty and you can download all the beautiful photo backgrounds you could ever want. Pardus ships a lot of those backgrounds by default and lets you choose between them as part of the initial configuration if you use Kaptan. Other Linux distros could easily do likewise. I don't need Windows 7 for pretty.
bigg

Aug 14, 2009
8:36 PM EDT
Funny thing about Windows 7. My wife would not believe it was Windows. She insisted that it was too ugly to be Windows, it looks like Linux and Linux can't compete with the looks of Windows. After playing with it for about 10 minutes she was finally convinced that it was Windows. Personally, I also like Vista's looks better.
caitlyn

Aug 14, 2009
9:10 PM EDT
Linux is ugly? Has she seen a nicely configured KDE4?
tracyanne

Aug 14, 2009
9:45 PM EDT
or a nicely configured GNOME, for that matter.
bigg

Aug 14, 2009
10:35 PM EDT
When you've used Windows for years and years, different==ugly. Windows 7 is different.
tracyanne

Aug 14, 2009
11:42 PM EDT
@bigg
Quoting:After playing with it for about 10 minutes she was finally convinced that it was Windows

Was that after she finally realised it wasn't as nice to use as Linux

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!